Which version of M$ Winblows is best for VPC??

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by edesignuk, Oct 8, 2002.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'm looking to install Winblows onto VPC, but am wondering which OS would give me best performence?
    I would be running it under the latest version of VPC on a DP1Ghz (Pre-DDR), 1Gb RAM and 10.2.1, so what do you think? Which M$ OS would give me best performence and stability under VPC.

(I realise that "M$" and "stability" arn't often mentioned in the same sentence, forgive me ;))

2. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

someone said that xp is pure crud on vpc but they also said that 2k is alot better than xp...so i guess try 2k..n dont bother with 98 cuz of bsods :p

3. vniow macrumors G4

If you must go with XP, AVOID HOME AT ALL COSTS!!!
    It's a crippled, crash laden version of XP Pro. Believe, me I've seen a helluva lot more people crash Home, than Pro. My system with Pro has never crashed once, while my parents, with Home, has crashed every week.

Try to get Win2k if you can but if you must get XP, cough up the extra ca$h for Pro.

4. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Perhaps I should have said, I can use ANY version of windows, I already have them all, so it's just what you lot think is best.

5. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

go for win 2k, i think it would be the most stable, but if not, xp pro

6. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

unless you really need 2k for some reason, win98 is going to be your best bet. if you need some help tweaking it to get it really performing the best it can, just drop me a PM. if you end up running 2k i would suggest disabling all unnecessary services for the computer. Also there are quite a few registry hacks that will make it the best it can be...again pm me if you want assistance.

7. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

98SE

Win 98 Second Edition runs the fastest of Win 98, 2k, Me, XP. I have run all of them at one point or another. I currently us 2k but thats for development reasons. its a little slower.. but I like it better. If your worried about proformace... you got to go 98SE. You have a moster Mac so... i wouldnt worrie too much about it. I have 2k running on a 867 QuickSilver with 1.2GB RAM with resononable speed. Its a huge RAM hog and it runs better in Full screen mode.. just so you know.

XP is about as fast as a frozen booger... its not even usable... at least on my Mac

-evildead

8. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Thank's for all your views guys. I was thinking that 98 would probably be the fastest allthough 2k is the better OS, hell, maybe I'll dual boot it! :)

9. User X macrumors member

If you have the disk space, load them all as seperate computers and see which one you like best. I have 98SE on a 867 quicksilver and it does seem a bit sluggish but it is usable. I wanted to get a copy of xp to put on it but it doesn't seem that it works very good acording to other people. I wish they could work graphics card support into VPC so we could play pc games as well. That would be sweet.....may never happen though. Opps... got off subject there.

10. User X macrumors member

The best thing about running windows on a mac........When it crashes all you have to do is force quit and your computer still functions without a flaw. Gotta love OSX.