Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deepdrop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
I have a collection of dvd's that I own and have ripped to m4v files. I'm able to put them in a folder on my WD My Cloud drive, but when I access them they won't play, they just start to download to my macbook. What I want to do is be able to play them on my macbook without having them all stored on my macbook.

I have vlc on my macbook already, so it plays the m4v's fine from a regular hard drive. Apparently WD My Cloud does not support m4v but DOES support H.264 and MP4. Is there a way I can make copies of my m4v's for the My Cloud while still keeping the m4v files on an external drive as backup?

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
You can convert them with Compressor or a bunch of programs and since they're not HD they might work fine but I would test first as MyCloud is quite a slow drive.

FFmpeg is good and cheap. Compressor seems to achieve very high quality with small file size, not that you will need that if you are only using DVD sources.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.