Which video/movie player for Lion??

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Skika, Aug 2, 2011.

1. macrumors 68020

Vlc- its great but crashes ALOT

Quicktime X- Doesn't play .mkv anymore (lol why)

MplayerX- weird stuttering going full screen

Plex- Doesn't support certain subtitles (many of which i watch), and mutes system audio after usage.

What do you use? What would u recommend ? I really watch a lot of movies and anime.

2. macrumors 6502a

Quicktime X plays mkvs fine for me (need Perian though). It sucks with full-screen though since I have two monitors. When I have that problem I tend to use mplayerx, which does not stutter for me at all.

You could also look at movist, and subler for turning your MKVs into MP4s.

3. thread starter macrumors 68020

Well this really sucks. I can't play videos in 2011. Good stuff i tell you.

Excuse me while i hang myself.

4. macrumors 68020

I LOVE VLC. I don't install codecs anymore, as VLC has them all onboard. Plus, there's an iPod/Android remote program that works great.

5. macrumors 601

derbothaus

Movist is great for my mkv's at 720p. Low CPU use. like 5-10% on my 2.8 Core2duo. That's without HW acceleration.

6. thread starter macrumors 68020

Crashes and crashes. I dunno man. Something is seriously messed up here i guess.

7. 3bs
    macrumors 603

3bs

I've never had any problems with vlc. The only thing I think it should have is to allow you to have several windows open like quicktime(which I never use)

8. macrumors 601

derbothaus

Did you install perian and/or flip4mac? I've never had an issue with either of those 2 "extensions". You can continue to use QT X with them freshly installed.

9. macrumors 65816

I haven't had any problems with MPlayerX. You could try downloading MPlayer OS X Extended instead and see if that solves whatever issues you're having with it.

10. macrumors newbie

mobtek

VLC, Quicktime etc work fine for me on lion, mplayer os x I rarely use but it hasn't crashed yet either, just make sure you have Perian and Flip4Mac installed :D

11. Steve's Barber, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011

macrumors 6502a

MplayerX. One stop video player. Plays anything I throw at it. It can even re-synch audio that's out of whack just like VLC does.

I did like VLC player but that annoying "playlist" window that always opened was useless and I got tired of closing it.

12. macrumors 68030

Watabou

I only have VLC installed and it works great. I watch a lot of movies too and I don't get any crashes :confused:

Movist is also a great alternative though. Never had a problem with it on SL. But to me, VLC is always the king. :)

13. macrumors member

Perian let's me watch mkv via QuickTime only if I preview the file. If I actually try to open it in QuickTime it will try loading the file for 10 mins before telling me it's not compatible. Does that happen for anyone else?

14. thread starter macrumors 68020

Yep, that is what happens to me too.

15. macrumors newbie

I use Perian but have brought Quicktime 7.6.4 onto Lion, as Quicktime 10 is rubbish, and it all works fine.

I do have VLC as well and haven't had any problems with it crashing although haven't used it much recently.

16. macrumors 68040

I use VLC, and Mplayer. Both of them are quite stable. Mplayer never ever crashes, VLC crashes very rarely. There's also Plex, which is a bit crowded for a player app, but it's also a quite stable one and supports hardware decoding on 9400M chipset macs.

17. macrumors 6502a

+1

Never had a problem with VLC, the remote app works pretty well. 9/10 for the remote app.

18. macrumors 6502a

If you're getting that many crashes with such different software, you should likely see about testing your memory.

MplayerX, Movist and VLC are based on different engines so unless you have a particularly bad mkv file, I don't think the players are doing something wrong.

19. macrumors member

VLC rarely crashes on me. It is by far my favorite.

20. macrumors 601

derbothaus

On all your mkv's or only certain ones. Audio codecs can sometimes be tricky if they are ogg or something.

21. macrumors regular

rezzo

MPlayer OSX Extended or Movist.

VLC = crap.

22. macrumors 65816

Yeah, QuickTime X will try to play it using the new AVFoundation libraries. You need to bring over QuickTime 7 from an older OS or download it. I remux all my anime to m4v, but still need to use QuickTime 7 or MPlayer to play it since QuickTime X still can't handle H.264 high profile at level 5 or higher. And only MPlayer can currently play 10-bit H.264 flawlessly on OS X. I was hoping AVFoundation and QuickTime X would be improved in this regard in Lion, but alas, it's still lacking.

23. macrumors 68020

Yeah, it's amazing. Only problem I have is you have to re-install the server app for the remote every time VLC updates... I can never seem to find the thing, so I have to search through my email... yeah lol.

24. macrumors newbie

VLC only, no Quicktime needed.

As my title says I use VLC and only VLC. Admittedly the older versions were really buggy, but since Leopard, I haven't had a crash in like forever. I have a Powermac DC G5 via Leopard that runs all my HD movie content in Dolby Digital and Dts. It runs almost 24/7 on my daughters iMac and frequently gets used on my Macbook when I'm out and about.

25. macrumors member

SerrQ

I'm only using VLC and always have, never had any problem with it. If you haven't tried it, you should.

Good luck!