Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snicker71

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2006
I know VPC 7 will not run on the new Intel Mac's, but will earlier versions run under Rosetta? Need to know as I hope to switch soon, and I need to run an app that's not available for OSX. Thanks for any info.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
At this moment in time VPC does not work under Rosetta. You need to wait for a new version of find some other solution.

ahunter3

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2003
You might conceivably be able to run an old copy of Insignia Solutions' SoftWindows within SheepShaver. I think SoftWindows would run Windows95 and Windows98 but I don't know about NT, 2K, or XP.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Try Bochs

If you don't mind delving into the UNIX-y core of OS X, try Bochs. You can try the raw X11 open-source (free) UNIX-y version (which you'll have to compile yourself,) or use a for-money OS X-Intel-native GUI version.

Update: Looks like you can get a free, pseudo-official version that's OS X native without needing to compile anything, but it still uses X11.

Update 2: Whoops. This is still PPC native. But I guess emulating an x86 on an emulated PPC is better than nothing. :p I guess we'll just have to wait for someone to compile Bochs to Intel/Mac, or compile it yourself.

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
wait for either VPC for intel architechture (which, btw, will be much much faster than it's predecessors), or for someone to hack windows onto a new intel mac.

any of these other options people are mentioning, though theoretically possible, will be painfully slow, painfully difficult, and will take the same amount of time it would to earn the money to buy a crappy dell with windows.

dolphin842

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2004
Another thing to keep an eye on is the WINE / DarWINE crew. Hopefully before long they'll have WINE running in some form or another for OS X x86.

Steve1496

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
ehurtley said:
Update 2: Whoops. This is still PPC native. But I guess emulating an x86 on an emulated PPC is better than nothing. :p I guess we'll just have to wait for someone to compile Bochs to Intel/Mac, or compile it yourself.

Some guy compiled it to be Universal. I haven't had luck getting through the setup process of Windows sucessfully with it, though. The universal binary can be downloaded here:

http://ifrodo.free.fr/Bochs-2.2.6.dmg

EDIT: fixed link to newer version 2.2.6

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
chaos86 said:
wait for either VPC for intel architechture (which, btw, will be much much faster than it's predecessors), or for someone to hack windows onto a new intel mac.

any of these other options people are mentioning, though theoretically possible, will be painfully slow, painfully difficult, and will take the same amount of time it would to earn the money to buy a crappy dell with windows.

Actually, bochs runs just as fast as Virtual PC (I use both.) And when compiled for Intel, it should be almost-native speed. (As should VPC/Intel.)

Hence, the 'openosx.com' site that sells Bochs with a fancy packaged GUI should be lightning fast. (Thanks for the link, Steve)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.