Which VPC for intel Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by snicker71, Jan 30, 2006.

1. snicker71 macrumors newbie

Jan 22, 2006
    I know VPC 7 will not run on the new Intel Mac's, but will earlier versions run under Rosetta? Need to know as I hope to switch soon, and I need to run an app that's not available for OSX. Thanks for any info.
  2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    At this moment in time VPC does not work under Rosetta. You need to wait for a new version of find some other solution.
  3. ahunter3 macrumors 6502

Oct 15, 2003
    You might conceivably be able to run an old copy of Insignia Solutions' SoftWindows within SheepShaver. I think SoftWindows would run Windows95 and Windows98 but I don't know about NT, 2K, or XP.
  4. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Dec 12, 2002
    Try Bochs

If you don't mind delving into the UNIX-y core of OS X, try Bochs. You can try the raw X11 open-source (free) UNIX-y version (which you'll have to compile yourself,) or use a for-money OS X-Intel-native GUI version.

Update: Looks like you can get a free, pseudo-official version that's OS X native without needing to compile anything, but it still uses X11.

Update 2: Whoops. This is still PPC native. But I guess emulating an x86 on an emulated PPC is better than nothing. :p I guess we'll just have to wait for someone to compile Bochs to Intel/Mac, or compile it yourself.
  5. chaos86 macrumors 65816

Sep 11, 2003
    wait for either VPC for intel architechture (which, btw, will be much much faster than it's predecessors), or for someone to hack windows onto a new intel mac.

any of these other options people are mentioning, though theoretically possible, will be painfully slow, painfully difficult, and will take the same amount of time it would to earn the money to buy a crappy dell with windows.
  6. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

Jul 14, 2004
    Another thing to keep an eye on is the WINE / DarWINE crew. Hopefully before long they'll have WINE running in some form or another for OS X x86.
  7. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Apr 21, 2004

Some guy compiled it to be Universal. I haven't had luck getting through the setup process of Windows sucessfully with it, though. The universal binary can be downloaded here:

EDIT: fixed link to newer version 2.2.6
  8. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Dec 12, 2002
    Actually, bochs runs just as fast as Virtual PC (I use both.) And when compiled for Intel, it should be almost-native speed. (As should VPC/Intel.)

Hence, the 'openosx.com' site that sells Bochs with a fancy packaged GUI should be lightning fast. (Thanks for the link, Steve)