Which way is wireless?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by WhiteSavage, Dec 6, 2004.

1. WhiteSavage macrumors regular

Oct 4, 2004
    I have a Mac OS 10.3.6 G4 Dual 1 Ghz with 1.5 GB SDRAM. I'm going to buy a Laptop and since I want to go online with it (Duh!), I wanna know which way I should go. I already have internet via Cable for my Mac, so I just want to know how I can setup a wireless station and wireless card, etc. I know this stuff is really simple and everyone should know how to do it, if not be able to figure it out. Unfortunately my parents are obsessed with making me go make sure I know what I'm doing. Do I know what I'm doing? No, but I'm 16!!! I'm wired!!! It doesn't matter!! Oh well, thx for your help in advance!
  2. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    First, when you purchase your new Powerbook or iBook, get it with the Airport Extreme card enabled.

Then go purchase either an Airport Base Station (if you already have a router), or a wireless router from someone like Linksys or Netgear (if you don't already have a router).

Setting up the laptop to talk to the router is fairly simple. There are a number of threads here on that topic, but essentially:

1. Look into MAC address filtering and/or WEP passwords for security.

2. Change the wireless AP or router's default IP and password to prevent unauthorized tampering.

3. Consider not broadcasting the wireless ID (SSID) so that your network is more difficult to find.

4. Connect to the internet. Browse. Download. Enjoy.