Which way should I get my Imac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BadgerMac, May 21, 2006.

1. BadgerMac macrumors regular

OK, so as part of that iPod class action suit I have $100 towards the Apple store. I can't use it in conjunction with the education store, so I either get the Ed discount or I use the gift cards. I want an iMac. Do I:

1) Buy one of the refurb 20" iMac (128 VRAM) for 1399 with the 100 discount I get it for 1299.

2) Buy an iMac with the VRAM upgrade and use the gift cards for a total of 1768

3) Buy an Imac from the Ed Store for 1760 and save the coupons.

I'm tempted to go #1 but really want the extra VRAM, which I would do #3 and save the Ipod store credit for one of the new iPods.

Thoughts?

2. kevin.rivers macrumors 6502a

kevin.rivers

Is the VRAM really that much more important to you? If you are gaming I can see how it would be.

I would recommend #1 and here is why. I have read a few stories of people getting higher than spec'd refurbs. Like loaded RAM, 500GB hard Drive, and 256MB VRAM. This is a gamble and YMMV. However the refurb is still a great deal and you are saving a ton of cash. So the question is... save $400+ or get the VRAM.

Also, don't forget to factor in Tax if they tax in your state. Tax kills...

3. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

how about Amazon? Free shipping, no tax and $150 mail in rebate is their normal offer.

4. rxl125 macrumors regular

STAY AWAY FROM AN APPLE STORES ONLINE OR IN PERSON...If you have any troubles they will not try to fix it. I had a few pixels out when I purchased it, and I had to fight tooth and nail to get it fixed. Get it at Comp usa where they have a no questions asked return policy...

5. BadgerMac thread starter macrumors regular

Dude, I've had my older TiBook in for repair and my 12" Powerbook in for repair twice and have had no problems. I could be an idiot and pop out some blanket statement like you did, or I could state that every organization has their issues, I've had less with Apple then others (other then Callaway Golf which is the creme de la creme of CS from past experiences).

Now, I have a 21" Samsung I'm using right now that I'd like to connect to the imac and use display spanning, will the VRAM make a differnece there? I'd like to think 'd play some WoW or something, but I probably never will. I do a lot of digital photo editing, would like to use Apeture, would use iPhoto, iDVD, and do some of my IT work on it on the Windows side.

My thinking is that 256 is nice, but 400 buck difference to get a refurb may not be a bad idea. Or, I could gut it out and wait until Q3 and see what comes up with any potential updates.

6. BadgerMac thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the response Kevin. I just want to make sure I'm not screwing myself in the long run avoiding the 256MB.

7. rxl125 macrumors regular

don't buy from apple... buy from a dealer that has a no questions return policy...

8. bbrowne74 macrumors newbie

You can b uy from Apple. I know many more who have not had problems vs. those who have.

On the flip side, if you get a screamin' deal form a dealer that is reputable, don't pass it up.

This RXL has some ax to grind or forgot to take his meds.

9. bbrowne74 macrumors newbie

We also dont' know what you did to your machine befor ebringing it in. Your story sounds very fishy to me, so I'm not buying it.

10. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

You can't use an educational discount in addition to the refurb discount as far as I know. Just FYI.

11. bbrowne74 macrumors newbie

If you go in the ed store and check on the refurbs it's the same prices,You could either go refurb and use the $100 in gift cards or go to the general store with the $100 or the ed store with no discount cards.

12. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

I've had excellent experiences with Apple CS.. I sent them my iPod and lied, saying I didn't know what was wrong, it just wouldn't come on. It had a dent in it deep enough to have been caused by a bullet. They sent back a brand new one, no questions asked, no charge except shipping. This was in February.
    I also bought the wrong iTrip for my 5G last October when I ordered it from Apple. Clearly my mistake for not investigating it further, but I called them and they refunded me the $36 to my card, and told me to just keep the iTrip. I sold it to a friend. :D

So yeah, I've never had trouble with Apple... :\

13. ManchesterTrix macrumors 6502

What sounds fishy? He had dead pixels, it's pretty common, it's also common for Apple to not replace a machine unless it has numerous dead pixel.

14. rxl125 macrumors regular

It has to have six... I had five:) Applecare helped though... was a fight

15. BadgerMac thread starter macrumors regular

I may wait a week. If no updates on this Tuesday or next then I'll buy most likely.