Which web browser to use?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jhuynh49, Feb 22, 2006.

1. jhuynh49 macrumors member

The only one I'm aware of for Mac is Safari which comes with the OS. Which other ones are out there, and is there one that is strongly recommended over the others? Thanks. (I'm quite a newbie when it comes to Mac.) :D

2. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

I like Safari but use Firefox for pages that won't load in Safari.

3. rfoap macrumors member

rfoap

I would also take a look at Camino. In my opinion, it is faster than Firefox and is more reliable than Safari in terms of rendering pages correctly, for whatever reason.

4. jhuynh49 thread starter macrumors member

Camino? Where can I get a hold of that?

5. rfoap macrumors member

rfoap

6. munckee macrumors 65816

I prefer firefox myself. I don't like that safari will let you close a full window of tabs without asking like firefox does (unless I'm missing a feature somewhere). Every once in a while I miss the back button and land on the close window button. That's annoying.

7. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I use Safari for it's features and OS integration, but Camino may be the better browser.

After using the Safari Stand sidebar rather than tabs, I cant' go back to a browser with standard tabs.

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Safari is the only browswer I use on my Mac, but Firefox is great (I use it on my PC) and I've heard Camino and Shiira are good as well, although I've never used them.

9. wasimyaqoob macrumors 6502a

10. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Whatever suits you best then use....simple but effective.

Bless

11. weldon macrumors 6502a

weldon

Safari has been much more stable for me (I get random quits from Firefox - and yes, I've tried deleting prefs and everything to start with a clean install).

I use firefox on my Windows machine and prefer it for one simple reason - SessionSaver and "save all tabs to bookmarks." I do a lot of online research for my teaching and being able to open up a bunch of resources in tabs and then save all those tabs to a bookmarks folder is great. I also love that if I quit the app, it will open back up with all the tabs that I had open at the time. Those two features get a lot of use for me.

Does anyone know if there is an extension for Safari that will do those two things? (1. save all tabs to bookmarks, and 2. save the tabs in the current session on quit, and open those tabs on launch)

12. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

ElectricSheep

13. jhuynh49 thread starter macrumors member

In IE7 and Firefox (I believe), there is a way you can click on a button that will open up a certain selection of favorites/bookmarks all at once as tabs. Is there a similar function in Safari?

14. weldon macrumors 6502a

weldon

Yes. Safari will let you open a set of bookmarks in tabs from the bookmarks bar or from bookmarks folders.

15. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

This is pretty much all you need to know. There's another one called "OmniWeb" but you have to pay for it so scratch that. What I'd recommend you do is download one or two webkit browsers, one ore two Gecko browsers, and then iCab and Opera and see which one you like the best. Personally I use Opera but that's just due to the fact that it loads pages the fastest on my machine - YMMV. I definitely recommend trying them all out though.