Which widgets would you like to see made?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by supergod, Apr 24, 2005.

1. supergod macrumors 6502

Jul 14, 2004
    Now that I've gotten Tiger I must say that I am quite dissapointed with the widgets available: there are too few of them and their features and applications (other than the dictionary) are quite lame. Beyond adding more options to things like the weather viewer I would like to see many more widgets. And I'm assuming you would too.

Which widgets would you like to see Apple or third parties create?

The one I want most would be a garageband widget. I use Logic 7 to record but when I have an idea for a little musical motif or a song and I want to quickly record it I use garageband. I would like to see apple add a garageband widget, it could look like a piano maybe in one mode with a recording button, and then once the button is pressed it could show the notes being recorded. It could record under a standard piano sound, most useful for musicians just trying to record an idea so they remember it, and then it would of course be viewable in the full garageband. Similar to other widgets, if you want to, you could click a button and bring up the full garageband app. Flipping the widget over could give you control of the metronome and allow you to switch sounds.
    You could have a secondary microphone function, much like the second thesaurus function of the dictionary widget, that allows basic microphone recording. Alternatively this could function as a "note to self", something I am sure most writers and basic users would appreciate and make use of.

What do you think of my idea and tell me, what are your ideas for this new feature? Any programmers, get cracking on making this thing a reality!
  2. bpd115 macrumors 6502a

Feb 4, 2003
  3. Diatribe macrumors 601

Jan 8, 2004
    Back in the motherland
    • To-do list from iCal
    • Google Maps Lookup
    • Audio snippet recorder
    • Alarm widget (countdown, stopwatch, alarm clock)
    • Weather with more data
    • System monitor widget that include fan activity, cpu temperature, uptime, current ul/dl speed, disk activity, RAM usage and cpu usage
    • Sports tickers/live sports scores
  4. FasterSoonerNow macrumors member

Jun 14, 2004
    TV schedule widget
    eBay Auction Monitor widget
  5. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    for pure novelty...

theres a Konfabulator widget called Micro Wifi Signal or something. its a teeny tiny icon which tells you your signal strength or the maximum data transfer possible. VERY good. much better than OSX's own signal strength indicator.

a bluetooth one which displayed all the BT devices nearby would be fun :)

CPU usage gauge, maybe a memory one too

Fan speed, inside temperature monitors (wouldn't clog up the bar like with Temperature Monitor)

another Konfabulator one; Werewolf Monitor. hah. love it.
  6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Macrumors tracker, shows the latest Mac rumors, refreshes every 30 seconds :D

Definitely eBay.

There are so many cool things, why can't I think of any? Argh.
  7. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

May 18, 2003
    POP/IMAP mail checker would be awesome. I know someone made a gmail check on dashboardwidgets.com, but not quite what I want :)

Also, anyone else a little bummed that your mouse scroll wheel doesn't work in dictionary?
  8. DrK macrumors newbie

Jul 12, 2004
    New York
    Real Time Stocks

A stock chart like the one included, but with real time quotes using yahoo finance. This would be nice.
  9. stcanard macrumors 65816

Oct 19, 2003
  10. Porchland macrumors 65816

Apr 26, 2004
    Yahoo Fantasy Baseball tracker. (I may actually try to write this.)
  11. clayj macrumors 604

Jan 14, 2005
    visiting from downstream
    Customizable comic strip widget so you can see your favorite comic strips each day (Dilbert, Get Fuzzy, Pearls Before Swine, The Boondocks, etc.).
  12. LGRW3919 macrumors regular

Mar 6, 2005
    cupertino (no joke)
    an ichat one if there isn't already (i'm not sure if one is bundled)
    caller id :)
  13. starnox macrumors 6502

Apr 15, 2005
    The activity monitor related ones would be stupid, since you have have to press a button to see it all the time. If you place Activity Monitor in your dock you can change to icon to live memory, cpu, network etc. usage. As well as a floating CPU window - much better than having a hidden widget IMO.
  14. Androit macrumors member

Apr 4, 2005
    Most definitely a parred down version of xJournal would be great.
  15. stevestella macrumors newbie

Nov 5, 2003
    I thought an eBay widget was included. Didn't SJ show one at MWSF?
  16. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

Mar 15, 2005
    I will want UPS, Fedex, and DHL widgets. I saw a Fedex widget on the net, but not the others yet. Maybe they'll be out, by the time Tiger arrives at my door. :)
  17. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    Exactly what I would have said. I'm assuming it won't take long for developers to come out with these. I hope they don't charge and arm and a leg, though.

As an aside, has anyone installed Tiger and looked at the Activity Monitor to see how much resources Dashboard uses?
  18. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
  19. link92 macrumors 6502

Aug 15, 2004
    *Assigns self to making a Google Maps widget*
  20. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    I keep pressing F-12 on my Panther computer. Drives me nuts!
  21. papplegate macrumors member

Jul 23, 2002
    Cincinnati, OH
    Check out iComic

Edit: Plugins allow you to view different comics.
  22. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Feb 19, 2003
    Planet Zebes
    I have a quick question......since I have dial-up I haven't really tried looking this up:

will the widgets that work on Konfabulator also work with Dashboard?

Just curious, I tried Konfabulator once, but it was a system hog.......but I still have all of my widgets that I had downloaded, and some of them I'd like to use.
  23. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

Sep 17, 2004
    The base structure of Widgets in both Konfabulator and Dashboard are more or less the same, but the file structure is a bit different. That is, a Konfabulator Widget won't work out of the box with Dashboard, but it seems possible to do a wee bit of screwery inside the files to make it work. Going to have to give it a shot.
  24. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Arghh!! I never understood that screen. Does it mean Dashboard is a memory hog?

Anyway, I think an iChat or MSN Messenger widget would be good. You don't need to keep it on all the time, and don't need to minimize it if I don't want it there. Pushing F12 is much easier than grabbing the mouse and moving that around to maximize. Also, I would use the language translator while I'm on MSN, which would make having it on the dashboard useful. :)

Also, an iSync widget that lets you do a quick bluetooth sync between your computer and mobile would be cool. I don't like starting up a program like that just to sync. Just push F12 and its there. Its quick.

Oooooh, and Solitaire widget would be great. Just pop in and work on it when you have a minute or you're thinking about something.
  25. stcanard macrumors 65816

Oct 19, 2003
    Depends on how you use activity monitor. If all you want is total CPU usage, yes it would be a waste.

I generally use it to watch individual processes, memory usage, threads, processor and see what's going out of control. The window's too big to pin on top, and a pain to watch since it keeps dropping behind everything. F12 to show it and get a profile of what's going on in my computer would be sweet.