Which windows apps do you NEED? (and with OSx86...will you dual boot to get it?)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by qtip919, Jan 16, 2006.

1. qtip919 macrumors 6502

Jul 24, 2002

So now that there is even the remote-est of possibilities that we will soon be able to get a good ol' MacBook and dual boot windows, the real question is: Which apps are making you go and crap all over a beautiful peice of hardware?

My list so far:

1. Outlook
    2. Visio
    3. Visual Studio
  2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    Outlook, Access, and Project. And no, I'm not the least bit interested in dual boot, there's no way I'm going to reboot just to check my mail :p
  3. qtip919 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jul 24, 2002

I only wish I could say that...

I need outside access to corp. exchange servers with calendar, contact, etc. information and there is NOTHING in the mac space to deal with this.

When I get home to do work, Outlook is something I am living within to do my work...it sucks, but that's what you get when your corporation lives and breathes Exchange 2003...

Entourage is a joke, it uses HTTP-DAV to communicate with Exchange and that's just about the worst idea possible (said the man who worked on it for 1 year :/
  4. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    Nothing :D

I'm happily living a Mac-only life. On the other hand, if I can run Windows games, that'll be a plus :)
  5. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    Just to be clear, I'd be all over a VMware or Wine thing that could run those programs, just not actually rebooting to get the job done.
  6. qtip919 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jul 24, 2002

hmm...didnt think about that...

I guess Ive been drinking the xbox kool-aid for too long...man I love my xbox+HDTV!!!
  7. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

May 8, 2004
    I Live Where I Live
    i would love to try one of these virus things
  8. qtip919 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jul 24, 2002
  9. qtip919 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jul 24, 2002

your overconfidence is your weakness

- luke skywalker
  10. eyeon macrumors regular

Apr 7, 2004
    Montana, USA
    Two programs that I simply CANNOT find anything comparable to:

1) Irfanview
    2) Adobe Audition

Although I wouldn't want to have to boot into another operating system in order to use them, it may be worth it, as (in my experience) they are irreplaceable.
  11. LastLine macrumors 65816

Aug 24, 2005

Access (purely because I have pre-existing databases in there)
    Visual Studio (College course)

And yeah, as people say, games. But that's a side point, I'm quite happy with C&C Generals, and Worms 3D on my iMac for the moment ;)
  12. NicP macrumors 6502

Jun 14, 2005
    Nero would be handy so that i can burn cue/mp3 files. Or someone could write an app to do it on osx (or just put it in toast please :))
  13. Dafke macrumors 6502

Mar 24, 2005
    -AutoCad (should start learning VectorWorks i guess)
    -Explorer (to manage my photo's, i think this is much easier than iPhoto's storage method)
    -Norton Antivirus :p
  14. lom8104 macrumors regular

Feb 7, 2005
    I completely agree!

Being in Commercial Real Estate, I would Need ARGUS (industry Standard) and IE (Costar.com needs an IE certificate to log-in)
  15. mduser63 macrumors 68040

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I don't need any Windows programs, at least not right now. It would be kind of nice to have Adobe Audition though.
  16. wPod macrumors 68000

Aug 19, 2003
    Denver, CO
    AutoCAD and Pro-E
    there is no real engineering software for the mac (aside from math modeling programs) so i guess i should say there is no real engineering design programs which are widely used in industry for the mac. but i guess i would still run into some problems, one company i worked for had a special package for AutoCAD (which ran like $5000 per license) and to make sure the program is authentic it comes with a hardware key in the form of a parallel port attachment. (if the block isn't plugged into your parallel port then the program will not work) but i guess that really isnt much of a problem for me, cause i would never fork out $5000 just to be able to work on stuff at home. so if any future company i work for wants me to be able to work at home, then im sure they will provide me a computer with my $5000 software package! but anyway, on my own id still go for AutoCAD and/or Pro-E, id totally dual boot so i didn't have to go to the computer lab on campus to work on projects!
  17. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    Windows apps that I need to get stuff done and/or use regularly:

Visual Studio
    XMPlay (has a Mac equivalent, but it isn't as good as XMPlay)
    Silence Remover (not found a Mac equivalent for this yet)
    WavePad (I'm sure there's a suitable Mac equivalent of this one, as it's just a WAV file editor).
  18. blackstone macrumors regular

Dec 12, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Cursed be the legal world for relying on Windows so much:
    - WordPerfect (would be nice if Corel hadn't dropped Mac support...)
    - MS Word 2000 (in order to use a Law Review template with extensive VisualBasic scripting that is, really annoyingly, not compatible with MS Word 2004 Mac)
    - ExamSoft SofTest (the most awful program ever, but I need it in order to take exams on the computer because my law school has standardized on ExamSoft. It boots up Windows and then -- as an anti-cheating measure -- locks you out of all functions except for the exam-taking environment, so it would be a violation of the academic code to run it in VirtualPC)
  19. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    Corel was working on a Java-based version of WordPerfect that would have resturned the app to the Mac platform. However, it accepted a cash infusion for Microsoft afterwhich it dropped the project.
    Are you sure? My experience is that Word 2000 documents are often more compatible with the Mac than they are work with Word 2003.
    Although I would not risk an honor code violation, the ExamSoft SofTest should still work on VPC.
  20. blackstone macrumors regular

Dec 12, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Yeah, the version of VB used in Word 2004 Mac doesn't include all of the same features as the version used in the Windows platform. It's one of those weird incompatibilities that only crops up in certain circumstances with really fancy scripting (this particular template adds a bunch of new menu items, dialog boxes than can only be launched by special key combinations, etc.). It's really frustrating... I've ended up just dedicating an old Dell box to running Word for Law Review stuff, and using RDP over SSH to log into it from my Powerbook.
  21. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Active Directory control plug-ins
    Blackberry Desktop Manager
    Action Request System
    Games of all Sorts
  22. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

Jan 6, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    I agree with Irfanview... that is the best program ever. A port would be fantastic.
  23. jimthorn macrumors 6502a

Apr 24, 2003
    Huntington Beach, CA, USA
    Some proprietary Windows-based apps for connecting to the company server :mad: and some occasional Access stuff, only because I already have years-old Access files that I've been too lazy to convert to MySQL or FileMaker. Also some website compatibility checking in IE & Firefox for Windows. Right now I'm fine with Virtual PC for those things and I happily do everything else in Mac OS X.

I will never want a dual-boot situation.