Which Windows Vista is for me?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Tangerine, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Tangerine macrumors regular

Jan 5, 2007

I'm planning on getting Windows Vista for my mac pro, but I'm confused which version of Windows Vista because there is too many. I have narrow it down and I think Windows Vista Ultimate will suit me best. However, there is 2 versions of it. One is x64 and the other is x86 version. What is the best one to get? What is the different between this two? My Mac Pro use a 64 Bit Processor, so I would think x64 is make more sense? I want the version that work like Windows XP Pro Edition, in term of more drivers and softwares compatibility.

Thank You
  2. apfhex macrumors 68030

Aug 8, 2006
    Northern California
    Well... you're going to have software/driver compatibility problems with the first release of Vista no matter what edition you get. I don't think any edition of Vista is more limiting in that regard.

According to Paul Turott, "you don't need to buy a x64-specific versions of Vista. Instead, all Windows Vista editions, except for Vista Starter, will come with both 32-bit (x86) and 64-bit (x64) versions in the box, on separate DVDs."

You can read the rest of it here at Windows Vista Feature Focus: 64-Bit (x64) Support. It's from May 2006, so it may be out of date information, but I don't know. As with WinXP, though, "32-bit device drivers are not supported, so you can't use any of the existing hardware drivers out there, but must instead use the subset of x64-based drivers out there."

Ultimately unless you really know you need 64-bit, it's probably a good idea to stick with the regular version.
  3. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

Feb 8, 2006
    Baltimore, MD
    The versions of Windows shouldn't be that confusing. There are four versions: two of them are home versions, and two are pro versions.

Vista Ultimate is nice, but it is pretty expensive (about $400). I ordered Home Premium. It has all of the stuff that I am interested in (new graphics, media center, and laptop features).

In my opinion, the only reasons to go with one of the pro versions are:
    the need to connect to a Windows domain
    the need to use more than 16gb of RAM.

I don't really see any benefit from the x64 version. Most software doesn't run any faster on it.
  4. Tangerine thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 5, 2007
    So I won't benefit any speed from x64 version because my Mac Pro is 64 Bits? Sorry, I'm kinda noob at this Computer stuff. I think I will get the 32 Bits version. Have any one try out Windows Vista on a Mac Pro yet? How it is in term of Drivers and Software compatibility and speed?

5. SMM macrumors 65816

Sep 22, 2006
    Tiger Mountain - WA State
    Unless you have a windows application you want to run, and it is optimized for 64 bit, do yourself a favor and stay away from it. I bought a couple XP 64 workstations and have fought driver issues ever since. Well, not quite. I gave the machines to some other users who are not allowed to alter the HW/SW. Now they are fairly stable. As for performance gain, never discerned any.