Which wireless card for imac?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mulls7, May 30, 2005.

1. mulls7 macrumors newbie

I have a g4 iMac 700mhz which I want to include in my wireless network. It has a tray-loading drive.
    Which wireless card do I need to connect it to the existing wireless network in my home?
    Thanks in advance

2. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I'm pretty sure you just need a regular Airport card (not the extreme one). You take off that plate on the bottom of the iMac's base and there's a spot to put the card into and plug the antenna cord in. Try searching google for "Airport Card for G4 iMac" or I'm sure someone here knows. All the pictures I've seen just look like the standard card!

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

You are correct, it can only use a regular Airport card (802.11b).

4. mulls7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for those answers. With it being 802.11b will it be really slow? I only really want to have email/internet access.

5. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

The old airport card is capable of 11Mbps whereas your standard DSL or cable connection ranges from 384Kbps to 4Mbps so there is plenty of room to spare. Where you will notice a slow down is transferring files from computer to computer over the wireless network. The new airport extreme has transfer speeds of 55Mbps.

6. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

for internet use you will see no difference as mentioned...

there is just a little delay (I notice with my connection) but thats because there is a WiFi router inbetween, but nothing annoying ;-)

7. Enda Crowley macrumors newbie

wireless usb card for powerbook g4???

ok this is a really stupid question to ask considering i have a 1.5ghz 12" powerbook but is it possible to get an external wireless usb card that will work in it becuase my airport express card doesnt work with my netgear router (long story search Enda in forum search and check it out there) and if a netgear one worked then i would get on the net fine in my house which is all i want it for since it works fine in school

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I can assure you that powerbooks and AIrPort Extreme cards do work with NetGear wifi routers.

9. Enda Crowley macrumors newbie

i know it just takes patience time and some effort I dont have