Which Wireless Extender?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by andym172, Aug 28, 2006.

1. andym172 macrumors 6502

I've recently changed to a D-Link DSL-G624M modem/router from an Airport Extreme & Express setup after my previous modem when to modem heaven.

Previously I needed the Express to extend the wireless signal in my house, and I'm finding that I will once again need an extender to work with the D-Link setup. Sadly, the Express doesn't work with the D-Link.

I'm wanting to kill two birds with one stone. I do a lot of business travel to Asia and the hotel I stay in only offers the free wireless access in the foyer. My Macbook is excellent and can just about pick up the signal in my room, but it's very patchy which can be frustrating. If I remember correctly their modem is a Linksys unit.

Can anybody recommend a wireless extender - preferably as compact as possible - which will work with D-Link and other modems?

Or even better, a way to make my Airport Express pick up and extend non-Apple wireless?

Thanks in advance :)

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Could you turn off the wireless capabilities of the D-Link, attach the Extreme to it and use the Express to extend this wireless network? My network is set up kind of like this. :)

3. andym172 thread starter macrumors 6502

It's a possibility, but I'd be slightly narked having just spent near £100 on the D-Link :)

Good thinking though :)

4. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

This is what I would have suggested, and as you have, is what I have got set up at mine now too, but with a Netgear DG834G and a newish Netgear RangeMax MIMO wireless router to take over the wireless bit!
    I know what you mean, this is what I faced, but the product I brought didn't have a built in modem (just a wireless router, not a wireless modem router!). Which meant my other older Netgear box was still good as a modem and a switch, plus the RangeMax gave me some more switch sockets as I had ran out. I still have the ability to turn the older Netgear routers wireless back on incase I have any trouble or if one of them break, kinda like a backup just waiting incase, so I didn't feel as bad in buying the RangeMax (apart from their rediculous price back when I got it!)

Linksys do a wireless extender, but I'm not sure if it only works with Linksys products. If it uses standard universal parts it should work with anything though, but this I am not sure on.

5. andym172 thread starter macrumors 6502

I ended up buying a Belkin Wireless G Universal Range Extender (model: F5D7132) and am currently trying to get it to extend the range of the D-Link wireless network.

According to Belkin's installation guide, I simply need to place the unit next to my current wireless modem/router, hold down an 'Auto Connect Button' for 10 seconds, and the Belkin unit will then automatically extend the range of the D-Link.

Sadly, this hasn't happened, and Belkin's help pages are of zero use.

Does anybody have this unit? If so, are you able to point me in the correct direction to connect the unit to wirelessly extend my D-Link unit?

6. Reaver macrumors 6502

although my needs wasnt like yours but I wanted Wi-Fi in my home so what I did was take my netgear router and ran a 50ft ethernet cable into my bedroom and living room for access and bought two express for those rooms and now I have wireless internet in those rooms for when I dont want to be sitting at my desk and I have a extra ethernet cable at the desk for when I want to connect direct.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I set one of these up three days ago with no problems but the original router was a Belkin too. During the setup procedure, make sure there is no wireless interference. It'll connect to whatever wireless network has the strongest throughput at its location. :)