Which Wireless Router Do You Use: Airport, D-Link, Netgear, Linksys?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by LaMerVipere, Jun 22, 2004.

1. macrumors 6502a

LaMerVipere

Which wireless router do most of you use?

I'll be buying one in the next week and would love to hear some feedback.

I'm leaning towards the D-Link, mostly because its cheap and I've had good experiences with D-Link devices in the past. :)

2. macrumors 6502a

I use an airport extreme basestation. I know it's expensive but it handles my printer and it's pretty.
    :)

3. macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    If you've got loyalty to D-Link and you've had problems in the past then go for it.

Personally I use Aiport and it suits me.

4. macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

I use Linksys and D-link. I've got a WRT54G Linksys that I leave at my grandparents house for my cable internet, another WRT54G that I leave at my grandparents other house for their satellite internet, and a D-Link AP/Repeater that I take with me to hotels and the office.

5. macrumors 68020

Netgear.

Inexpensive, quality product, never had any problems... and hey, they look nice too! ;)

6. macrumors 65816

ziwi

Linksys

I have used linksys for years actually have multiple routers to seperate my wireless and wired networks.

I have even seen a linksys and netgear work fine together - I really don't think you can go wrong with whichever you go with in the mainstream.

7. macrumors 6502a

Netgear!

8. macrumors member

Actually, I use an SMC and it works just fine with AP Extreme.

9. macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    netgear wgr614, it's nice and small, the range is great and it was $29 new(after rebates).

10. macrumors 6502a

Peyote

D-link for a few years now.

11. macrumors 6502a

I have a DLink now, it works w/ my iBook (Airport Extreme) and eMac. I tried Netgear as well, both brands work fine.

12. macrumors 65816

Darwin

I use a Airport Extreme Base Station personally but I don't see a problem getting a D-Link Router :)

13. macrumors member

Amani

Netgear. Got it at CompUSA for around $60. If you're just doing home based wireless networking between your laptop, the internet, and maybe one or two other computers, a third party base station is the most affordable way to go. I just couldn't see the justification for busting out $200 for Airport Extreme.

14. macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Netgear. I got it online for about $25 dollars which was great. It was real easy setup and works great so far. When I move into my apartment in August I'll be getting an Airport Express :D

15. macrumors 6502

Netgear! Router ,

16. macrumors 6502

I use a NetGear router with a Linksys wireless access point attached.

thats a great duo

17. macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

I use a Linksys WRT54G wireless access point+router. it works great with Airport and Airport Extreme (b and g) speeds. I got it back when all I had were "b" devices, and now that I have all "g" it's even better.

18. macrumors 6502

512ke

I use a Netgear. Works extremely well with my iBook and works somewhat poorly with my wife's PC laptop. Go figure.

19. macrumors 6502

Microsoft's MN-700 router.

And F911 couldn't be farther from the truth... even the liberals on Slate are calling him the next Joseph Goebbels and Leni Riefensthal. That 'ought to mean something when even the left is crying foul.

20. macrumors 6502

micvog

AEBS because of the built-in USB port.

21. macrumors member

Linksys works fine for me. The only thing I noticed with it, though, was occasionally my router in my dorm room would...stop. Not sure why. I don't think it was the linksys' fault, though. And all you had to do was unplug it, wait for 10 seconds, plug it back in, and my powerbook picked the signal right back up.

22. macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

I use a linksys wireless router, havnt had too many problems with it. works great with my powerbook, and my other PCs.

23. macrumors 68020

yippy

US Robotics, someone from the windows world (who knows is stuff) told me he tested many wireless routers and found it had the best out of box security.

24. macrumors 6502

I've used only LinkSys and never had a problem. As for security, the LinkSys have MAC address filtering, which is all the security I've ever used. Never had a problem with it.

25. macrumors 6502a

I'm using a D-Link DI-624.
    Works perfectly with my iBook over 802.11g, and I've got MAC filtering set up, so it's secure. No WPA support, only WEP 128, but I can live with it.