Which Wireless Router should I buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Misha, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Misha macrumors newbie

Hi~

I just purchased a new Macbook Pro laptop this morning and I have an old (2000) G4 desktop. I plan on using both computers and am wondering if all wireless routers are Mac compatible? After already reading a thread on routers, it seems that Linksys, Netgear, and Belkin all work for some people and not for others.

I just want to make sure that the router will work for my old desktop as well as my new laptop? I have a small apartment (range is not a concern) but also live in a popular spot in San Francisco with at least 7 other wireless networks (security-enabled) accessible from my kitchen.

Thanks for your suggestions.

2. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

As long as you get a wireless router that supports 802.11 g/b, you should be fine. When my mini was wirelessly connected, the speed was slow, probably because i pick up 6-7 router signals from my house, and cordless phones tend to operate on a similar frequency as wireless routers. I think you can change the frequency or channel or something to speed it up.
    Anyways, i have heard that linksys makes good routers, but if range isn't a huge issue, any wireless router that supports 802.11 g and 802.11 b should work.

3. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

I have the apple airport express...maybe too pricey, but I really like it.

Its very small and compact and can be taken anywhere, its also good for wireless printing and music streaming.

Just my opinion.

4. xPismo macrumors 6502a

xPismo

I had a linksys wrt54gs which is good (look up the open source updates for more power & better toys) but the best one I have ever used / owned / known about is the 2wire DSL modem/router.

Even people who don't use the modem love this thing. The only problem is you'd have to grab it used from someone who purchased it thought a 'net package.

ebay.com works. In my experience, its worth the hassle to grab one.

Check out http://2wire.com/ for info.

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

6. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

If you want a Linksys type router but don't have the money to afford one (they're about USD $70-80), get a Belkin. They use the same exact hardware. :)

I would not in any way, EVER recommend a Netgear router.

See this: (I left this on a message board)

I had to clean it up a bit. :)

7. codo macrumors 6502

However, I would. We have the DG834G v1 and it’s been an absolute breeze.

Set it up, enter the DSL information and off it goes. Add the wireless computers etc and that’s it - leave it somewhere and you never need to think about it again unless you want to open a port in the firewall or something.

This message is flying through it... now.

8. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I have an airport extreme base station and absolutely love it. I have set up many different routers (not for me though) and I don't think any of them were nearly as easy to set up or as effective throughout the house. ... also, I love the printer sharing capability!

yt

9. REDSRT4 macrumors regular

I have always had good luck with D-Link and Linksys!

10. generik macrumors 601

generik

Actually I wouldn't as well, seems to me that Netgear products are getting more and more sloppy by the release. My recent purchase from them was a WPNT834 "Rangemax" 240 router, woah, worse **** I have ever used for years! The hardware is good, the range is good, the software is heinous. If you can tolerate rebooting your router at arbitary times, this one is the way to go.

The sadder thing? When I visisted Netgear's own support forums it seems like the earlier WPNT832 model still has plenty of unaddresses issues. A new product before you'd even fix the old? Unbelievable, at this rate things will never get fixed.

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

Same here.

It works great for music streaming (my friends are always over with their laptops -- they love that their iTunes 'just sees' the Airport Express and they can play on my stereo with no configuration on their laptops).

It's also great to travel with, not much bigger than the laptop's power brick. It's ability to save how you have it setup into "Locations" is awesome.

12. Acehigh macrumors 6502

If you do not want to go with an Airport Express. I will buy any router which is free or close to it after rebate. Check out sites like http://www.bensbargains.net/ or fatwallet to find a good deal.

13. Church macrumors regular

Church

I don't think linksys is very good. I just purchased a wrt54g v5 from my friend and it's not all that great. The wired networking seems slower than my old befsr41 v2 (even after it got hit by a power surge that knocked out two of it's ports), I can't get it to change wireless security modes and it just seems to be a big problem all together. I'm now halfway looking into d-link for something better. Your mileage will vary, I suppose.... :confused:

14. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

I love the WRT54G older versions. You can do soo much with it. The v5 is the one that you shouldn't get.

15. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

That's because it's not using Linux. ;)