whichwhich one should I buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by goastrydur, Apr 11, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Aug 1, 2010
    I have a 13 imch unibody macbook with 2.4ghz core 2 duo that has a bad battery and has issues with the airport from time to time. I also have a iPad2. I was thinking about buying a macbook air 11" with 128gb hd or a retina display iPad or a iPad mini. I just do basic stuff and was thinking about something mobile. What do you guys suggest? I even thought about a 13 inch rMBP but not sure I really need that much computer.
  2. macrumors 6502a

Jul 16, 2012
    St. Louis, MO
  3. macrumors member

Mar 13, 2013
    I wouldn't listen to anything this guy says. He has no idea what he's talking about.

I would go with the iPad.
  4. macrumors 6502

Aug 30, 2011
    I wouldn't listen to both of the guys above.

Deciding what to buy depends on your needs. Personally, I get no work done when on the iPad, but I get so much help from the GPS when driving.

One is not a substitute of the other, they exist for different reasons.
  5. macrumors 6502a

Jan 1, 2012
    let us know what you need to use, and we can advise better. i wouldnt have an ipad as my only "computer" its too limited
  6. macrumors newbie

Jul 8, 2011
    As others mentioned, it really comes down to what you will be mostly using it for.

I have an iPad3 and recently bought a 13" MBA. Though there is overlap between the both in terms of the services each provide me, there are features/services that are exclusive to each.

Also, I went with a 13" MBA because the 11" MBA was just "too close" to that of an iPad for form.
  7. macrumors 6502

Jun 26, 2012
    Virginia, USA
    Concur with those who counsel that an iPad is not a computer. I have both and while the iPad is fine for reading books, casual surfing and email reading, it decidedly is not a computer for which you may download software. Different animals for different purposes.
  8. macrumors 65816

May 29, 2011
    East coast, USA
    Definitely get the MacBook Air 11… You can do so much more with it than the iPad, and it is very portable. That's what I have ;)

That being said… if you really don't need a full computer, you can get the iPad. What will you need to use it for?
  9. macrumors 6502a

Jan 1, 2012
    just to add, 11 inchers are awesome. can anyone tell i just got one lol
  10. macrumors 6502a

Oct 21, 2009
    Among the starlings
    The iPad has no USB ports, no way to connect external storage (unless it's NAS), ditto for non-networked peripherals such as printers and scanners (admittedly less common than they once were).

If you expect never to need a USB peripheral, go for an iPad (I'd also pick up a Bluetooth keyboard, personally).

If you might use USB, or need to access websites that depend on flash (or have drop-down menus or drag n drop features that don't work with touch) or need precision in your pointers (as for graphics) or find it annoying to place the cursor or select text on a touch screen (I do, but that's subjective)... Well, go for the air.