While i run virus scan...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by nyprospect, Jan 22, 2005.

1. nyprospect macrumors 6502

May 3, 2004
    Hi well i was researching mac mini around the world wide webon my 3.0 p4 pc.
    I was just gonna buy more ram and keep my pc.I googled this.Is it worth buying a mac mini.I clicked on a site that had that exact question being asked.All o the sudden i relized it was a stupid script that opend multiple windows.yippie.i had to shut my pc down and runa virus scan.although my pc is fast and i can make it faster,the faster i make my pc the faster i hit a virus wall.i have a question for mac users.How do you guys know you have not been infected with a virus trojan or some jackass script.As a pc user i scan my pc for viri daily.I should be hired as head of homeland security.Should i just keep this pc or get a mini.anyway sorry for the rant :)
  2. yippy macrumors 68020

Mar 14, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    because we can't

We know we don't have a virus or trojen because so far, none exist for a Mac. You can also scan a Mac just as easily as you can a PC with Virex.

As for the Mac mini. It is a good introductory Mac to get started. It will be slower than what you have but if all you need is web/email/word proccessing than it will be fine.
  3. mcmav37 macrumors 6502

Dec 30, 2004
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I agree with what Yippy said. You should consider getting a new Mac mini and a KVM switch so you can use your existing keyboard, mouse and monitor to run both computers. Use the mini for your email and web browsing to avoid viruses and spyware, etc. Also, iLife would be very nice for you if you have any sort of digital media pursuits. Then, use your windows machine for whatever is left over.
  4. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Jul 15, 2004
    Daddy said not to talk to strangers
    I dont have an anti vires, well i do from .mac but i dont really use it.
  5. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i guess we wont know till we all go down in a blaze of glory i used to use virex but after a year of it not detecting anything gave up and got rid of it to free up space :D
  6. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    Mac's don't need anti-virus stuff. You will hear about it if there is one. It will make a huge splash...
  7. bubbamac macrumors 6502

Dec 24, 2003
    The worst thing that has been released in the wild that affects OSX are macros, usually attached to MS Word files.

Because apps in Mac OS run on top of the OS, not within the OS like in Windows, any virus will have a hard time penetrating and doing damage. I didn't say it won't happen, it's just harder. Mac OS will ask for your password for any major OS functions that might cause serious damage.

I used to be a big proponent of using Virex (the only decent anti-virus app) on Macs, because "you just never know." Now, I don't bother.

Get yourself a Mac Mini, load it up with RAM, and have fun.

In the meantime, use Firefox for a browser on your Windows machine. No more pop-ups! www.mozilla.org