[whine] Anyone here had braces (the teeth variant)?

Discussion in 'Community' started by ravenvii, Aug 1, 2005.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Well I did, about 7 years ago. And when that little hell is over, then the teeth wants to move back right? Well, so it's retainers or bridges for ya! I can NOT stand retainers at all, I HATE the things. So it's bridges for me. It's much better... but now I'm stuck with the stupid things for life. They're really annoying to clean - stuff gets stuck in-between, and it's such a pain to floss with them (have to use a special type to poke under the bridges).

Wah, what the hell is this for? I notice NO ONE talks about, or complains about damn retainers, and yet I know MANY people who had braces. What are they doing that I am not?!

*whine, whine*

</whine>

2. AlmightyG5 macrumors 6502

i have an ortho apointment on the 4th to get my retainer fitted then the braces will be off by the end of august for sure. And after 3 years and 1 month of having them i'm ready for a retainer...

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I had braces when I was about junior high school age. In the early to middle 1960's. At that time they put a band around each tooth. So it is probably why almost all of my teeth have a filling and some more than one. It was a three year ordeal. Two years of straightening and one of a retainer. My mouth would start to feel better, then it was time to return to the orthodontist. It was my impacted wisdom teeth that did some damage. it was my lower front, so not really noticeable.

4. rkristich macrumors member

I had braces that were taken off 4 years ago (I was 13 then). I have an upper and bottem retainer, and I hate them both. The upper one is the lesser of the two evils, since I only have to wear it at night, but I'm supposed to wear the bottom one all the time. I refuse to, as it gives me a lisp of sorts (I'm a teenage girl, and that's something I really don't want), and I can't chew gum, something I love to do (I swear it helps me concentrate better). Therefore, I only wear the bottom retainer at night, against my orthodontist's instructions. So far, my orthodontist hasn't noticed, so I'm not letting my teeth recede back to be pre-braces position or anything. I really can't wait until I leave for college next year, as that's when my orthodontist usually tells patients they don't need to wear retainers anymore.

5. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I haven't worn my retainers for like.. 2 years.
    I'm a bad, bad person.
    I'll wear them tonight, thanks for reminding me.

Blaahhh...

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It seems that the ladies are more willing to talk than the guys. Good for you. ;)

When you mention the retainer, I remember them well. Just remember that the doctor wanted them in as much as possible. In my case, I leaned quickly that it was better to leave them in my mouth. It felt good on removal. If I left them out for very long it caused increased soreness. So that was my incentive too follow orders.

What was both of your experience in this matter?

7. emw macrumors G4

emw

Augghhh. Thanks for the memories. I started my whole orthodontic ordeal back in 5th grade, I believe it was. Which for me was about 25 years ago. Now, I wasn't satisfied with just having braces. Nooooo, I had to have an overbite. Which meant I got to wear a headgear.

For those of you who don't know what that is, go watch Finding Nemo and look at what Darla is wearing. Yup, it's a big thing that goes around your head and essentially pulls your upper jaw back.

Let me tell you, nothing like wearing something like that around in junior high to impress the young ladies.

So after I was done with that, it was on to braces for 3 years. Yummy. You know that drill. Then a retainer for my uppers and a bridge on my lowers. Of course, about 5 years ago I had my dentist pull the bridge off. I haven't noticed any ill effects from it. Though I do wish I was a little more diligent in wearing my retainer.

Overall, though, spending over 10% of my life to date wearing some sort of outwardly visible orthodontic device has paid off. My teeth are actually pretty straight, and I guess I wasn't too socially traumatized by the whole ordeal. Plus my pain threshold is probably higher...

8. emw macrumors G4

emw

Man I hated wearing the retainer - it was uncomfortable, you couldn't talk very well, you had to take them out whenever you ate or drank, etc. Plus, braces are always put on kids at just the wrong time in our lives. It's bad enough you're struggling with typical adolescent issues, but then you add in braces/headgear/retainers, whatever, and it's just worse. Maybe it's better now, but I didn't know many kids who had braces when I was a kid, let alone the whole headgear contraption.

Just thinking about it wierds me out.

9. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

My father was an orthodontist but he retired a few years ago.

When I was a kid I had braces. I have retainers now but I rarely wear them. I don't really care because my teeth aren't crooked and don't look messed up at all. If I do happen to put them in it feels like my teeth are in a vice.

Now they have those invisiline braces. I don't like them because the peoples' teeth look wierd and they don't always talk normally. You could take the easy way out and do Da Vinci Veneers. Just glue fake teeth ontop of your old messed up ones and your done. I don't get how those stay on when you eat anything hard. You'd think they'd just crack off, and maybe they do.

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i never had braces, my teeth aren't perfect, but nothing in life ever is....

but my sister had 'em, and before she had them she had to have her upper jaw expanded, with a contraption that had to hurt, the concept of it hurts to think about, maybe thats why i refused to go see an orthodontist.

11. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

:eek:bands on each tooth?!:eek: ow!!
    ive had braces since....let's see...i guess january 2003. it's been all right, 'cept i was supposed to get them off in june and still haven't. since june ive been coming back every 2 weeks instead of every month for tightening so i can get 'em off sooner. they really don't bother me except when i go to get them tightened and then it *really* hurts, since i have really sensitive teeth and in general have a low tolerance for pain. i had to wear some funky retainer before i got my bottom braces to correct my overbite. im sure glad i didnt have to wear headgear :eek: (my dad had an overbite and had to wear headgear for a brief time) which wasn't bad so i guess the next retainer'll be all right. what are bridges? ive never heard of that option.

oh, it's cool--my dad had the same orthodontist as i do, only he had him in...the late 60's i think, maybe early 70's.

edit: it was kind of strange in 8th grade, since i was student council president (and had morning announcement duties) and i really lisped for the time i had my retainer :p no one made fun of me for it (at least not to my face :eek:) but it always made feel odd knowing that it was harder to understand me than it already is :rolleyes:

12. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i wore my retainer for like 2 weeks..... and luckly my teeth haven't moved.

13. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

same with me :p and i get commented on all the time by my patients at how nice my teeth are, they are the pride and joy of my body ><!

14. rkristich macrumors member

I was just wondering, for anyone who had (or has) braces, were (are) you allowed to have sugar? My orthodontist banned us from eating sweets and such when we had braces. Needless to say, almost nobody obeyed this rule for longer than a week (sugarfree cookies, candies, wafers, etc. do not taste very good). He told us that the sugar could could decay our teeth where the braces attached. However, nobody I know who had braces, even those that barely ever brushed their teeth and never flossed, had tooth decay when the braces came off.

I also managed to get away with chewing gum when I had braces. I chewed only sugarless gum (I don't like gum with sugar in it anyways), which never stuck to my braces.

Well, if you get your braces off around the 12-14 year old range, my orthodontist usually has you wear the retainers till you graduate high school, no shorter, no longer. If you never wear your retainers, despite various threats by him that your teeth will go back to pre-braces posistion, I think he just kind of gives up on you by the time you graduate, and knows there's nothing he can do to make you wear it in college.

Whenever I go on vacation, I leave my retainers at home, as they're very easy to lose and very expensive to replace. Whenever I get back home, it's always a little painful to put my retainers back in. The longer I'm gone, the more the pain increases. I can see how it would be really painful to put them back in when you haven't worn them in a while.

I actually had quite a few friends who wore braces. In middle school I was in a gifted program (we were all nerds), and out of the 10 or so girls that were in the program, I think only one of them had no need for braces.

It was so funny, after lunch we would all go to the bathroom together and brush our teeth and put new rubber bands on. Of course, this act further alienated us from the regular girls at the school, but at least we all have nice smiles now to go along with our intelligence :D

Oh, and I didn't have any friends who wore headgear, but one of my older brother's friends had to wear it. He looked very dorky, but at least it was in middle school when everybody looked dorky, heargear or not. My brother had to wear headgear too, but only at night.

Edit: Yay, I just realized I'm a member now. I didn't much like that newbie title.

15. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

They are sort of reverse braces - instead of being on the front of your teeth, they're behind. They're only put on the front teeth, nothing on the back teeth. They're basically a wire that has glue that attaches them to each individual teeth. The "bonds" are much smaller and smoother than the brace ones. You can't normally see them. They stay on 24/7, and you don't have to worry about retainers and stuff. The only negative really is the diffculty of keeping them clean, which is what I'm whining about above.

16. NEENAHBOY macrumors 6502

I had them for almost three years; got them off last year when I was 16. I now wear a small retainer-type device on my top teeth and a bridge on my bottom teeth. I hate the bridge too; they tell me it must remain there until I get my wisdom teeth out (two more years!).

Personally, I don't see why they can't remove the bridge and give me another hard plastic retainer for my bottom teeth. I think I'll ask them at my next appointment. I still plan on forcing them to remove the bridge when I turn 18, but it'd be nice to have a viable alternative in place.

17. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Had braces from 6th grade through part of 8th grade. What else to add... chewed gum w/out problems, but corn was a hassle. Same w/ that yummy wheat bread w/ all those whole grains in them. Heh. My ortho hit on me, said I had "kissable lips." Okay, it wasn't like he was hitting on me really, more like a grandfather figure (kindly, older, Japanese man). :p

18. SurfinSHELL23 macrumors regular

Haha. I had my first appointment 7/25/2000, and got them off 7/25/2005. I didn't have them for a solid five years, got them on several months after that 1st date. I have an overbite still (my Dad does as well, his brother had braces not once, but twice, and got to learn to talk all over again or something) and will be getting reatiners 8/8. I was supposed to wear that annoying assed night time headgear thing but *never* did it and the teeth straightened and my overbite improved anyway. Hopefully I don't need the reatiners for too long...

In my whole time of having them, I think maybe one brace came off? Not even maybe. And I still ate basically everything... corn, etc. I didn't go to the orthodontist for close to a year (last summer to this) and everything was in perfect order. The techs couldn't believe, since most people end up breaking things every couple weeks.

I think I'm fairly immune to pain (maybe had to do with my father being a vet - around medical science since a young age) - the tech kept asking if I was in pain when she was taking them off, but I was perfectly fine. Started to wonder if I was supposed to be hurting. Did bleed a lot that day though...

19. zyuzin4 macrumors 6502

I didn't wear my retainers and now my teeth have shifted :(

20. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I use a retainer and I don't find it to be too annoying. It looks like those invisalign bracer alternatives, but it is a retainer:

[​IMG]

I only wear it about once every 3 nights, it gets pretty painful after missing more than that.

scem0

21. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

first this:
    [​IMG]
    source: http://www.orthodontist.nl/dmo/spreekbeurten/Spreekbeurt rick storm.htm

then this:
    [​IMG]
    source: http://www.blij-in-de-rij.nl/Site o...laatsenendebanderen/debanderen/debanderen.htm

and then this:
    [​IMG]
    source: http://www.orthodontist.nl/dmo/spreekbeurten/Spreekbeurt rick storm.htm
    I didn't have the lower neck-band, just Mengele's version of the pope's hat. And no, i didn't wear it to school. :eek: .

Before you all start wondering what the hell could have justified the massive use of teeth displacing material and methods. I'll cut clean. My chin simply had to come a bit forward. Mouth closed i could put my thumb between my lower and upper teeth. Horizontal spacing :D.
    It's an evolution thing, i was just ahead of time, the dentists didn't grasp this and sought to correct. ;)

The ones not attached are easier to clean, but you can't go to long without a session, as scem0 points out above, they hurt, if not worn regularly.
    Braces hurt most though :D, and are the ********* to clean.

In the end it worked.

22. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Same here. But my teeth don't look scary or anything... But yes, there has been shifting. Haha, way to waste all that time and money, eh? :eek:

23. emw macrumors G4

emw

24. acceber macrumors regular

I've had braces since July 2003. I also was unfortunate enough to have an underbite and underwent a major operation under General Anaesthesia in May 2005 to rectify this. The swelling is still going down and hopefully I get my braces off before Christmas! :D

25. pigbat macrumors regular

I had braces as a teen and didn't get my wisdom teeth pulled in time. I just finished up with 2 1/2 years of braces and 9 months solid with a retainer. I'm down to retainers at night and it seems like it was all worth it at this point.