Whining MacBook Pro.. new logic board?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Kingsly, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

I've heard around here and from a friend that Apple may be replacing logic boards for whining MacBook Pro's.
    Also it says on Apple Care's site to contact Apple if the MacBook Pro whines... so my question is: has anyone done this? Will my venerable 1.83 automagically become a 2.0 with the replacement?

ciao

2. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

i have read on these forums that they are replacing logicboards,, although i wouldnt bee sure if they would give ou a 2.0ghz, it could be possible though, i read once that companies usually have to keep a stockpile of spare parts for repairs, even if that specific model has been discontinued.... i'm not sure Hmmm.... now you have me thinking

3. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Kingsly

I've got me thinking too!

I am going to be out of the country for the next week... which means I wont be calling them until WWDC.

4. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

5. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Kingsly

I've tried.
    I even talked to executive relations and they wouldn't replace it.
    I am hoping that I can point out that this will be the third time I've sent it in and see if they'll just give me a new one. Wish me luck.

6. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

fight fight fight for your right. Just dont take no for an answer. It's that simple. No is not enough. What you need to do is INSIST you want to walk into a retail store and do the exchange. Say that you have no time to send it out, have it repaired and then wait to recieve it. Like that the retail stores are most likely not to carry he old 1.83's, and they give you a 2.0. I remember applecare telling me on the phone "If its cool with the retail store, its cool with us"..and the retail store telling me "if its cool with applecare, its cool with us"...They didnt exactly say it like that, but thats what they meant. Let me kno if i can help you out, because i went THRU THE SAME EXACT thing your going thru..

7. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

wow, thats pretty amazing! i hope you get bumped up!

i hope something like this happens to me (about getting bumped up i mean) the next time my MBP breaks

8. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Kingsly

the exec. relations guy did a *wink wink, nudge nudge* thing about if I am able to get them to take it a third time it'll trip some kind of unwritten rule to just replace it. Unfortunately, this is not concerning nuclear-reactor-type heat, but broken-reactor-pump-type whine. So technically its a separate issue.
    Ideas?

9. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

I have a slight whine but Ican barely here it, even in a quiet room. I'm not sending mine in for something so quiet. Do you agree?

10. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

i agree, mine is easily quieted with the mirror-widget hack.
    if anything else happens to mine, (dead pixel etc) then I will send it in, just not yet.

11. bruf macrumors member

My MBP is back!

Hi there,

I sent mine in to my local Apple reseller store last week for the infamous whine problem since Apple finally acknowledged the problem with an MLB replacement. I have a stock 1,83GHz, 128 VRAM, 1024MB RAM MBP pre-ordered in february. The only issue I had was the whine from under the keyboard, it was getting hot but nothing unusual based on other people experiences read in this forum.

I got a phone call the following day from a tech who confirmed my MBP needed an MLB replacement from Apple.

I got back my MBP yesterday. It's still a 1.83GHz CPU, not a 2.0GHz. Oh well! :) It did solve the whine issue I had, the computer is now almost silent. I do hear a slight whine (only on AC Power) when I put my ear as close as possible to the keyboard, but it's way quieter than before and I can't hear it at all when I'm sitting in front of my computer during normal use. It's not an issue anymore, trust me. The only noise left is the HDD, which is a good thing. ;)

The heat is also much more tolerable. CoreDuoTemp does give me similar numbers to the original main logic board, maybe 2-3 degrees cooler, but the whole computer enclosure does feel cooler, like if the heat is circulating better in the case. The palm rest is now comfortable and the area above the F-keys is no longer burning-hot. Great improvement imo.

Overall, I do suggest you to get the MLB replacement if you have the whine, even if it's tolerable (mine wasn't that bad), because it will probably have an impact on heat also. I had a great experience with my local Apple reseller service, but I can't say if AppleCare will be as good as the service I had. My MBP is still in like-new condition, no scratches or bumps during the repair.

On a side note, the tech forgot to pull his Apple Service Diagnostic disk from my MBP after final testing. This thing is neat, much better than the tools provided by Apple on Tiger's DVD. Great bonus I got from the repair.. ;)

Best,