Whining, rattling fans and no Apple Store for 75 miles

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by slb, Mar 6, 2006.

1. slb macrumors 6502

1.) I can hear a nerve-grating, high-frequency whine in my new iMac Core Duo with a low-frequency rattling/purring sound that clearly doesn't belong. Sounds like a dirty old PC fan coming loose or under warp stress. Shutting it down, you can hear the fan loudly spin down from a high pitch to a low to nothing.

2.) Called Apple support. The guy was friendly and told me I needed to take it to an authorized store for repairs. Problem is the nearest authorized store is just over 70 miles away. So he told me to find the nearest stores to me (so I wouldn't have to pay high shipping) and call them up to find out if they'll bend their walk-in policy to let me mail the iMac in.

3.) No luck. But I can't make the 70-mile trip (perfect timing, the transmission burned up in my car) to take my iMac in person.

4.) I read the section in my warranty about repairs and replacements and wondered if I was eligible. I contacted Apple Web Chat, and the guy there told me I had two options--call AppleCare to request onsite service or call sales support. He said more troubleshooting would have to be done over the phone before the machine could be declared DOA. I asked for clarification on the "defective product" clause in the warranty, and he said it was for DOA or units deemed unrepairable.

5.) He said if I had AppleCare, I could ask for onsite repair. I thought you got one-year support automatically with any Mac purchase, and that WAS AppleCare. I didn't realize AppleCare is the three-year plan, and what I have is just complimentary 90-day support with one-year warranty. I thought AppleCare was the universal term for all of Apple's support. Perhaps Apple should clarify that there's a difference on their online store. So, the guy recommended I purchase AppleCare so that I could have someone come out to me.

6.) Well, it's moot anyway as AppleCare's onsite coverage only extends to within 50 miles of any authorized Apple tech location. Foiled again!

7.) I asked the guy if the other option he gave me, calling sales support, would tell me the same thing--take it to an authorized Apple tech location. He said "more than likely unless it's isolated to a hardware failure out of the box." I suspect my issue won't count as a hardware failure since hardware isn't actually failing here. It's just very loud.

What should I do? I have a feeling I'm not eligible for a hardware replacement, which I was hoping for since it would mean I could mail it somewhere. I'm unable to drive 70 miles to take my computer into a store. It's a tricky situation since it seems there's nothing Apple or I can do here. Any ideas?

2. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

Every time I've dealt with Apple support they have sent my a S.A.S.E/Box and I've never paid shipping. Maybe you should ask for one?

3. slb thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you have AppleCare?

My question to Apple support was, "Can I mail my iMac to Apple directly for repairs or preferably for a replacement?" Every time I've asked to mail it, I've been told I need to take the Mac myself to an authorized Apple location for repairs. Somehow I need to find out how I can mail this Mac to someone for either repair or replacement, and if I have to buy AppleCare first to get the help I need, because I can't make the 70-mile drive. The sounds are getting louder every week. :(