Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Texas
Does anybody know if there is mock-up of what the Apple Watch Sport would look like with a white bezel rather than the current black one?

I'm curious too see how good or bad it would look like.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Does anybody know if there is mock-up of what the Apple Watch Sport would look like with a white bezel rather than the current black one?

I'm curious too see how good or bad it would look like.

that sounds hideous. i've never wanted an iphone other than black/space grey because the white bezel looks bad, and with the actual size of the screen inside... eww no.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I think this picture is probably an exposure error but it looks white. You can't get a true white finish by anodising aluminium so it would probably need a plastic or ceramic case.

apple_watch_blue_home_screen_hero.jpg

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
I think this picture is probably an exposure error but it looks white. You can't get a true white finish by anodising aluminium so it would probably need a plastic or ceramic case.

apple_watch_blue_home_screen_hero.jpg

He said bezel not case, doesn't that mean the bit under the glass but around the screen?

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Sorry, I read that wrong. :oops:

I was thinking of traditional watches where the bezel goes around the glass.

You have a good point and it's probably correct in watch terminology.

But he said it was black so I assume he was speaking in iDevice terms :D

Reactions: OllyW

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Texas
Yes, I meant the screen like in the white iPhones. I know they made them all black to conceal the screen.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I believe the OP is referring to the area roughly between the red and blue box. It would be a tacky design and would make the screen look smaller with lower contrast. Ive would never approve it.

IMG_0932_zps7o8xoair.jpg

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Texas
Something along the lines like this?
View attachment 616686
Almost, just the screen background black instead of white (since that would drain the battery too much).

I believe the OP is referring to the area roughly between the red and blue box. It would be a tacky design and would make the screen look smaller with lower contrast. Ive would never approve it.

IMG_0932_zps7o8xoair.jpg
Yes, that's the area I'm talking about.

Last edited:

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Almost, just the screen background black instead of white (since that would drain the battery too much).

Yes, that's the area in talking about.

Why make the screen appear more obvious and hence smaller? Either do edge to edge screen (when the technology becomes available) or stick with black on black (with AMOLED) or white on white (with a different screen technology).

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Texas
I just went to the Apple Watch website and inverted the colors on my Mac. I gotta say, some of them look kind of cool!

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Texas
I copied and pasted a couple of pictures and this is what I came up with. Thoughts?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-02-17 at 7.26.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-17 at 7.26.23 PM.png
    62.2 KB · Views: 163

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Looks bad. The white frame makes the sharp corners totally obvious. The display-to-glass transition on the existing watch is seamless, and the only "edge" is where the crystal meets the case sides. This white bezel idea makes the whole thing look cheap.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
I copied and pasted a couple of pictures and this is what I came up with. Thoughts?
I don't see why this would be any different that the iPhones. It seems to me Apple already tried to do this with the 6s and the white wallpapers.

The problem with your mockup is that the UI needs to be reversed to white to blend in, and that defeats the reasoning behind using black to conserve battery life on the OLED screen. So Apple won't do it, until the battery is less of an issue.

That said, I could totally see a white-faced Sport with a pastel band being wildly popular.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.