White blotches on PowerBook display

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by kerb, Nov 29, 2004.

1. kerb macrumors regular

I know this has occurred on 15" PBs and these are eligible for a free replacement but for the past 2 months I've had these white blotches on my 12" screen. I thought it may have been where I've pressed too hard but they sound too familar to what the 15"s problem is to be that.

What should I do to get it fixed? It doesn't bother me on a day to day basis but it's annoying when I have a dark screen and see them.

2. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Call up Apple, tell them your situation, and they'll probably send you a box the next day to ship it in to get the display fixed. Easy as that. I had it done.

3. dotnina macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure about your case, but most of the time, white blotches are caused by pressure. My boyfriend's Vaio has started to get them. I've also seen a Compaq that was covered in white splotches -- I don't know how the poor chap could make out anything on the screen.

Then again, my 15" PB (newest rev) is starting to show splotches, too, and I'm anal about keeping it pressure-free. I think the most likely explanation is poor design mixed in with slight pressure.

Anyway, I'm sure this is the kind of thing Apple's warranty should cover, assuming there's no obvious indicators that your put your laptop under a lot of stress (ie, giant dent). Let us know how it goes.

4. advres Guest

advres

I agree with crees!

The fix is painless as long as you can handle being without your book for a while. Do you have Apple Care or is this coming out of your pocket? If it is coming out of your pocket then buy a new one and sell yours to recoup some of the loss.

I had my 15' go back for white spots. Not only did they have to fix that but they also had to give me a new super drive because it was causing all kinds of kernal panics for some reason. I gave it to my local Apple store to send out on a Sunday night right before they closed. I had it back that Friday.

The only reason mine took so long is because they were trying to reproduce my kernal panics I was getting (about 7-8 a day) to no avail. It seems when they replaced my superdrive, that fixed the problem.

One thing I should mention. When I got my book back it had a nice new screen but the screen had a stuck red pixel. It bothered me to no end since they wouldn't fix that because it was within the LCD specs. I noticed it for about a month and now I don't even see it anymore unless I look.

good luck!

5. Enigma macrumors member

My brand new 15" Powerbook developed these about a month after I got it. I phoned Apple, sent it back and they replaced the screen. Problem is, the new screen arrived WITH a slightly noticeable bright patch (not as bad as it was before) that seems to be getting worse. Anything with a light background shows it up quite a bit and although I've only had it back a few weeks, I'm thinking I might have to send it back again.

I'm worried this is going to be a recurring problem, and I would blame the way I carried it or something if it hadn't arrived back from Apple WITH the same defect (definitely a new screen since the dead pixels that were on my old sceen were gone).

Not particularly enamoured with Apple's quality control at the moment, since this Powerbook is only two months old and already I might have to send it back for a second time!

6. advres Guest

advres

I thought I had lucked out. everyone was bitching about these spots and it took my book forever to actually go screwy. Luckily, my problems have no reoccured since the original fix which was about 6 m onths or so ago.

This guy at my work was not so lucky. He had to send his out 3 different times for white spots. By the 4th time he bitched enough they gave him a new unit.

7. kerb thread starter macrumors regular

I haven't got Applecare but I've only had the PowerBook since June. Don't I get a years coverage?

8. Enigma macrumors member

Yes. I don't have Applecare either, but I plan on getting it before the year's up. (You can buy it later I think...)

9. kerb thread starter macrumors regular

do I have to have Apple care to get this fixed?

10. Enigma macrumors member

No