White DS Photos, and guest!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Seeing I got the white DS Lite and wanted to frame it's sexyness I took some quick shots. inspired by the black DS lite photos, but can you be inspired by your own work? I tried to emulate some shots from the Black DS series but, well it's harder ok? light didn't work the same. but the shutter speed was so much faster. smiles.

[​IMG]
    trying hard to emulate the infamous logo shot.

[​IMG]
    death from above.

[​IMG]
    turn me up.

[​IMG]
    turn me on.

[​IMG]
    dpad of desire.

[​IMG]
    logo death from above.

special guest! mutton dressed as lamb.

[​IMG]
    Hey, gorgeous.

[​IMG]
    I'm here.

[​IMG]
    Between.

[​IMG]
    The ugly truth.

2. skipsandwichdx macrumors regular

[​IMG]

my two favorite pieces of technology :)

edit: your pictures are better! nice job

3. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Reminds me of my MacBook :D . Once I get mine I'll marvel at both thier beauties together.

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Your original DS is still in tip top shape....are you going to keep it or crush it like I see other village idiots do on the net?(not that you are one...just asking:) )

Bless

5. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

I think this answers that question.

both here and here. ;)
    be it known I had the NES from ages 4 onwards. I was probably just as bad back then.

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Gezzz...how did I hold that gameboy in my hands when I was young...thats a beast....I thought the Gamegear was huge.

Bless

7. smwatson macrumors 6502a

smwatson

I got a sleek sexy bright yellow original Game Boy :D Is the DS touch screen more than just a gimmick :confused:

8. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

the GG is just a tad bigger than the original Gameboy, and a lot heavier (if you're using regular AA batteries). bought a GG off a mate some years ago for £15. he keeps nagging for it back :D

yes. the DS is more than just a gimmick. it's bleedin incredible. isn't it the fastest selling machine ever or something like that?

9. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

The games made for the DS really do take advantage oof the touch screen. some of the games may not require you actually touch it but it is still useful.

10. GonzoRob macrumors 6502

GonzoRob

Thats in great condition ..

My dad was in the USA the day the gameboy was released and bought me one. It still works fine.. very gubby though :)

good build quality !!

R

11. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Oh aye. something Nintendo is known for. I had doubts that with the Cube, with precision laser stuff we'd see more faults. I was worried myself! but it's cool. though my Black DS Lite had faulty buttons, the white one is fine.

12. batman123 macrumors regular

The more i see the DS lite, the more i like it! :cool:
    The old DS was FUGLY!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Although...despite the design...i still prefer my PSP :D

13. crachoar macrumors 6502a

No. It's a gimmick. It's either a map screen or some gimmicky touch feature that doesn't add anything but annoyance to the gameplay.

Don't let the sales hype influence your choices. Just because everybody and their mom wants a DS Lite, doesn't mean anything. If you've forgotten, nobody (in the states at least) really bought into the DS until the Lite came out. If I have to spell it out for you - they bought it because it looks pretty and is cheaper than the PSP. A classic case of 'iPod Syndrome'.

Everybody wants one because of the hype, regardless of how it functions. It's a status symbol. One of those perks of consumerism.

There are maybe three games that make good use of it, or even, total use of it. The rest are just pointless or hard (or awkward) to control (see 'Metroid' - with the stylus especially).

The system was built for 'Castlevania' though (map screen!), so I'm happy. And, apparently, the Sonic game (which uses the two screens to increase the size of the world) is extremely hard and double-sweet. Haven't had a chance to pick it up yet though.

I think the GBA has better games, and that's what I primarily use my DS for. GBA gaming / 'Castlevania'.

I still recommend the DS lite, despite the fact that the vast majority of DS games are uninspired and gimmicky. GBA games are brilliant on this screen (although, there are still some ghosting issues - 'The Minish Cap' looks like tits).

14. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

uhm hello? speak for yourself. the original ds was the best selling handheld even though it was ugly. its just the lite is talked about more becase...IT JUST CAME OUT. the ds had a lot talking before it came out...that was a LOOONG time ago. there ARE a lot of games that take advantage of the second screen. if you think it doesnt....dont look at it. it's still worth the full $130. i dont know what you're talking about with the gimmicks...but forseriously the ds is the most original system of any handheld ever made. if anything (...sorry to bring the psp into this) i think the psp is a gimmick. WOoOoOooOOOO it can play music! OMG IT CAN BROWSE THE INTERNET!!!!!!! you konw how hard it is just to browse the internet? if i wanted to play music i'd get an ipod... i dont understand the psp. the whole...thing is overpriced...movies, games, memory card thingys, accessories etc. etc. whatever. rawr. i love my psp & im glad there are 2 screens 'CAUSE I USE THEM. if anyone is wondering about getting a ds lite most stores have them on display...with demos so just check them out. i dont like it when people say people buy stuff 'cause all the hype. i am not one with the crowd :mad:

15. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

I always found that funny, and a great testament to gaming machines not having to look like art to succeed. Here is this DS. It's got a kiddy image, it looks ugly. yet it somehow rose up to be the fastest selling system thus far. World domination it has.

As for the gimmick thing. some games use them for gimmicks, some use them for alternate game controls (Mario, Animal Crossing). AC being very good with the touchscreen, allows for more precise control. Ditto for Hunters. the only way an FPS is going to be done fluidly without dual analogue controls (which I find a pain anyways) or a mouse. It's made for games like Lemmings, or anything that could use a mouse - Sim City, RTS style stuff. But the biggest thing about the screen is the speed of writing. it's not clunky anymore. Yea some games use the screen in a pointless fashion, Nanostray and Mario DS. But they are utterly fantastic gameplay ridden games anyway. you sort of don't notice, or like me, don't care.

think of it as an accessory. It's not used in every game. it doesn't need to be. but I'm glad its there for portable FPS.

16. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Hi!

Well, you're both wrong about the DS being huge before the Lite. Not in the US at least. Hardly anybody cared. It sold, and it may have sold more than the PSP, but it wasn't nearly as popular as the Lite is now.

In most cases, people (again, in the US at least) are just now showing interest in the DS because of the Lite.

And it's not because of the games. It's because the DS Lite looks like an iPod and it's cheap.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure the 'Gameboy' is still the best selling console ever.

I don't even think a Nintendo fanboy could argue that one...

17. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Yup, it works quite well- some games use it as a map and touchpad input (in Metroid Prime Hunters, for example, the screen shows a map, and you use it like you would a laptop's touch pad to control your aiming). Others use it a bit more gimmicky (like the virtual analog stick in Super Mario 64 DS), but some really come through (the entire game is played entirely using the touch screen for some games like WarioWare Touched!, Kirby's Canvas Curse, Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, StarFox DS, etc).

Then some games don't force the use of the touchscreen and don't use it at all, but still make good use of the second screen (see New Super Mario Bros, Mario Kart, Tetris DS).

18. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

ds lite is cheap?
    i heard a lot of hype about the ds when it came out. i didnt get it because i knew nintendo was coming out with another ds before a whole other system came along. & YES im in the US. i think there is so much hype about the DS lite beecause it fixed all the problems that was wrong with the original ds.

19. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Yea...don't worry you will say same when the DS lite sp comes out:) ...dude to the top has a point about the DS lite bringing people in not the bulky DS. The machine is really starting to take off now and this time next year the lite sp will be out then world domination will start;)

Bless

20. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

21. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

semi interesting fact

The DS Lite launch period has outpaced the GBA SP launch period. allegedly.

Honestly I don't know how the Lite can be improved in such a way it renders a new model. the only improvements I can think of would be better speakers, stronger WiFi connectivity and a longer battery life (everything needs this). It can't be made smaller. I think the DS Lite will be the last one now for a very long time. It's near perfect.

22. jdechko macrumors 68040

Jimmi, you should definitely do some shots of the gameboy... I'd love to see those. :D Actually, you should do some shots of all three systems that compare them to each other.

In other news, I believe that at the end of this month, I'll have enough funds to buy a new DS lite (with NSMB I hope).

23. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Funny you should say that, when I woke up I decided to go on a photographic adventure today. I'll definitely do some more shots later.

A little OT but has anyone noticed the similarities between the Wii and the NES? It's not like the NES2 or anything but if you look at both you can see they fall from the same tree.

24. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

So no remorse over the switch from black to white? I just want to be sure before I do it! Not worried about getting the money for the black DS back - because I know I will looking at ebay. Plus I can make use of Games DS Lite plus 1 game for £109 offer. Looks like I'll be getting Mario Kart quicker than planned! Total Games: MP: Hunters, Super Mario Bros, Brain Training, Worms and now, more than likely, Mario Kart.
    Sweet.

One other switch specific question... what happens to your savegames?

25. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

nothing, they're saved onto the DS cartridges. but. if you have any WiFi settings you need to transfer them over, you lose your friend code if you don't transfer. So you'd need to buy your White DS before selling the Black :eek: I used my old DS as a storage for my WiFi settings when I went from Black to White. no remorse. feels like you can play the white one "better" because you're not worrying about fingerprints.