white G4 case

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by djniche, Jul 15, 2002.

1. djniche macrumors regular

what a great case design would this be...
    too bad white represents the consumer line

if this design was to be introduced - "I'll take 10!"

2. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Well...

Nice photoshop job, but I think its ugly. Its too cluttery in the front, and the CD should be a tray on the pro powermacs.

I am going to tell you what a guy from MacWorld magazine (a product reviewer) told me.

He said to expect brushed aluminum cases, that are sqaurish and not as rounded...

3. job macrumors 68040

job

Looks nice but what the funk are those little blue lights?

4. job macrumors 68040

job

Re: Well...

How come?

5. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Read my bits.

NO MORE SLOT LOAD CD FOR THE DESKTOP.

They are horrificlly expensive, don't come in "Superdrive" and removing odd size/shape media requires taking the ENTIRE drive appart.

Overall aesthetic, I like it.

One question: Why are we all so stuck on the "El Capitan" Case????? It's old and doesn't even fit the mobo any more. Apple WILL be losing the "square with handles" motif here pretty quick. Get over it.

6. job macrumors 68040

job

Re: Read my bits.

So are you suggesting that ugly looking Photoshopped pic that was floating around here? :D :D

7. job macrumors 68040

job

Re: Read my bits.

So do you think we will see the Superdrive in the TiBook any time soon? :D

8. djniche thread starter macrumors regular

squarish but that would make the new case look too much like a PC, wouldnt it? the quicksilver is impresive and to have it square and xserve like would make it look like a Pc and i dont think we want that.

9. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

(groan) Listen to yourself.....

It's A CASE FOR GOD"S SAKES!

When all the bays have to be square and (trust me) the handles get more complaints than compliments I feel that keeping them just to be different is like swapping them for a square case with Lexan bunny-ears just so it stands out.

When I was retailing Macs I got more complaints about how impossible it is to find a desk that the towers'd fit in with those damn handles than compliments on how convenient it was to bring them in for repairs when they have HANDLES ON THEM.

It does come back to the fact that the components ARE SQUARE. I'm fairly certain that we'll be seeing a case that looks very much halfway between the iPod and the Cube with a libral helping of xServe in there for continuity. without handles or the current hatch-config.

10. mr.w macrumors regular

Re: Re: Well...

Well I for one work a lot with mini CD's (i'm in the eBusiness card business) ... and they won't work in slot loading drives. I'd have to buy an external CD drive :(

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Get rid of the handles, add one new full width external bay above the current CD bay.

Killing the front bottom drive bay and moving the middle one forward a bit so there's room for adding cooling fins to the side of the drive tray stacking units might help reduce HD heat. (ie, remove the flat side of the drive tray and replacing with cooling fins) Not really anything the average user would need, but some of the heavy duty users might find nice for a four drive raid array.

12. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Nice mock-up, but now for the problems:

1) Bottom half is too crowded. Those vents need to go elsewhere or at least match the width of the CD slots.
    2) Why all the LEDs? There would be very little benefit of LEDs under the USB/FW ports. It makes it look too crowded.
    3) What's with the box in the middle? I'm assuming it's for a ZIP or swap partition or something, but it should be up closer to the other media bays.
    4) Make the Apple logo smaller, even if the entire unit is smaller.

With those four things done, I'd be happy to have that sitting on my desktop (provided it's a G5, but that's another story. :D )

13. King Cobra macrumors 603

>(MacAztec)...expect brushed aluminum cases, that are sqaurish and not as rounded...
    These cases have been discussed before. Apparently, someone did a PS job of an Xserve, and adjusted that in the shape of a PowerMac, which no round ends and a polished metal, just like the Xserve. Now I am not bored enough to search for that thread right now, but it's there somewhere.

[Hey, it turns out I AM that bored... :D Here it is.]

BTW, Aztec, you can remove that :eek: from your signature now. It's been done.

14. job macrumors 68040

job

Yeah I was wondering what all those LEDs would be for.

15. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I have to agree, the LEDs would have no purpose except on a dedicated server like the Xserve.

16. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I'll go with mischief on this one...

slot load drives suck serious ass...they are a royal pain to work on...

I also think the led's are kinda cool....provided they were to give u an idea of power consumption by the processor(s)... ;)

but I don't think there's a real need for 3 FireWire connections while there's zero USB...

17. job macrumors 68040

job

Bah, the only thing you need to know about RISC chips is that they suck less electricity than CISC chips. :D :D

18. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

it looks nice, but you should use that space in the middle with the row of led's under it to cover the firewire ports, that would keep the design clean. also, the [power button should be on the top, where the logo is now, and it should be like on the studio display and the cube, where its heat/tough sensative. make a thin-mesh like cover for the speaker, and make the ar vents the same width as the drives, then its perfect.

sorry i made this so long!:)