White hair at early age

Discussion in 'Community' started by JesseJames, Nov 27, 2003.

1. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

I was maybe 26 or 27 when I saw my first white hair on my head. Since then, there have been a few more. You'd have to look close because you can't see it from a distance. But they're there.
    My first thought was what the hec? I'm young dammit. It ain't time yet.
    Have I had a great shock in my life? Not really. I did have an extremely stressful adolescence though. Can't believe I'm still kicking actually.
    Could it be my genes? Possible. Madness does run in my fathers side of the family.
    Has anyone else had this experience?

2. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Baldness in my case, I'm 28 and I have a landing track already.

Gray hair? I do not know, the science is in making them looks good:D

Richard Gere has gary hair all over and he still kick a** with women.

3. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I'm 26, and my hair is still pretty much black. I don't think I'll have any issues with baldness, thanks to heredity. I am kinda looking forward to having some speckles in my hair color one day though. I figure it'll add more character. ;)

4. $usu$ki macrumors newbie

im 16 n had whit hair since like last year
    DAM

5. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

I started seeing my first grey hairs when I was in late highschool.. I'm 24 now and its noticably visible. The night before thanksgiving I met some highschool friends in a bar in my home town, the first comments were either "You have gray hair!" or "Wow, you look good." Either way, I refer to it as "executive hair" and see it as all the more reason why I'll move up through the ranks in the real world.. ****, I look distinguished already.

Going white is better than bald.. any day.

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I think that white hair is very distinctive. In my case it was a 50/50 case with baldness. I took after my mothers side and still have a full head of hair. Think that my hair started turning gray in my 30's. Now it is almost 100% gray.

7. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

I can already see a bit of thinning of my hair :eek: :( Both sides of my family have issues with graying hair early as well *sob*

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I'll take my hair turning white over baldness, even though my hair has thinned a bit in odd location (evenly on the sides of head while remaining thick on top and back).

Still hasn't thinned to a normal amount of hair yet... and I still end up getting a couple rounds with the thinning shears every haircut.

9. Golem macrumors 6502

Mine thinned slightly around 20 pretty much as soon as growth stopped but since then it hasnt changed in 20 years and their are a couple of guys who made jokes back then about balding who have pretty much lost it all since:)

Changed Countries and Jobs,new house etc,etc when I was 31 and started greying then but its still a lot more pepper than salt.

But after a an experiment a couple of years ago forget a beard. Blonde,ginger,brown and grey. Ughh.

10. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

when i was about 12, a snow-white patch showed up during a haircut, on the right side of my head. maybe a half-dollar size... since then i've found a few spots that are much smaller. not all on my head. it's rather creepy, the hair has absolutely no pigment, the skin underneath is albino as well. really pisses me off sometimes, but it can be very distinctive, i'm generally a well-remembered person...

doctors won't explain it to me, one once said benign legion on my brain, but that sounds a lot like BS...

pnw

11. joker2 macrumors 6502a

joker2

greyness and balding is a matter of genes...

My Dad's side of the family, their hair goes grey, and thins, but doesn't get bald spots. Mom's side of the family has a combination of balding, and grey early. One of her uncles was completely grey-headed by the age of 19, she tells me.

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Almost every Japanese I've known has a few white hairs by the time they're about 23. I had some red hairs within the black and they've all turned white quite a long time ago.

13. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

i'm roughly as old as apple ... and do have hair without color. for years.

that's nasty as i just _don't_ look credible as blond (you know all the 40 y + mediterranean women who suddenly become blonds.. ;) ) > got to dye ...

and nastier - i've got tons of really small, fine white hair all over .. including face (but it's mostly so fine that unless you have a really good light you don't notice it) ... (and stomach, back, everywhere). if it was normal hair, shouldn't it be of the color my hair was normally of (or that it is in the 'natural' parts of my body) ?

14. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

I'm almost 20, and I've got some white hairs all over my head...noticeable if you're looking for them...my uncle went grey in college, but still has his hair at 62, and my dad has most of his hair at 57....As long as I keep my hair, I'm not too concerned.

15. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i got a few white hairs in high school and it did not change much until i noticed quite a few one day more than a dozen years later

...so i clipped them all out and saved them in an envelope and dated it and swore i would never clip any white hairs again and go natural

...now another decade later and i have noticed i really don't have any more white hair than when i clipped them out...i must have changed something in my life to change the progress of the whitening of my hair

but i do look older now at 40 than when i was 30 and nobody cards me now and it is obvious i look more than 30, which is the age someone has to look to still be carded in california

16. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I'm 22 and I just started noticing a couple here and there.

17. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

my grandma ( she is 92 now ) has completly grey/white/silver hair since she was 40 years old. Nor my mother or father have grey hair. But I have quite some at the age of 33. Good bad ? I think for man not that bad.

18. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I think that it gives a person a very distinctive look, especially men. We have no real choice in the manner. At the age of 50 my hair was pretty much grey/white/silver. I like the look, reminds me of my maternal grandfather.

19. Dros macrumors 6502

If you are a guy, then your X chromosome comes from your mother. So looking at her brothers, father and mother's brothers can tell you how your X may act. Hair color/balding isn't just determined by the X, so your own father also can tell you something

... gosh, I guess I just listed all the males in the family!

20. true777 macrumors 6502a

true777

I'm 35 and just noticed some first grey hairs a few weeks ago. Maybe 10 or so. So I've read up on this on the web a little. While there's really nothing you can do about it, some state that there is a hypothesis that large doses of vitamin E taken regularly actually make you go grey *earlier*. That is, the fact that many folks now take a vitamin E pill (like, 400iU) everyday might account for people going grey earlier these days. Again, a totally unconfirmed hypothesis.

The Chinese claim that an herbal extract called Shen-Min (available both as caplets to swallow, or as a topical hair tonic) can slow down the greying process (supposedly in some cases even reverse it, though that sounds fishy to me). Shen Min is generally accepted by herbalists in the US as a safe herbal supplement and is available online and in many health food stores, though no studies have confirmed its effectiveness. Its main ingredient is an herb called Fo-Ti (sometimes referred to as Fo Ti Tieng).

Incidentially, Fo Ti is also supposed to make you feel good... :)

21. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

I've had a few grey hairs since I was in my early twenties. I haven't got loads now but the rate seems to have accelerated in the last couple of years - I'm 33. No signs of any receeding or thinning, my hair is still really thick - which is good. Grey I can cope with - hair loss may be more of a problem for me....:eek:

22. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

I had a LOT of thick hair through high school. By the end of my first semester of college, I was noticably going bald. Very, very quick. By the end of college, it was a joke (my roommates always called the menoxodyl people for information in my name. Hilarious.) About my mid-20's, my hair quantity stabilized at my current, George Costanza-like, level but then it started going grey. Now (age 32) it is sort of a "salt and pepper" thing, which I think looks good.

Of course, when I had all that hair in high school, I said "if I ever go bald, I hope I have the self respect to avoid trying to cover it up." So here I am....

Actually, it doesn't bother me much. It is what it is.

23. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

i just want to go grey before i go bald. i think it looks dignified, and turns "going bald" into "gaining character." unfortunately, i'm losing 'em quicker than i can turn 'em grey.

here's a scary one for you: it's been proven (by science!) that the more hair you have on your chest at 30, the less you'll have on your head at 40. the same hormone that grows chest hair thins scalp hair. and, sadly, i've been noticing that trend of late... which is doubly unfortunate, because for most of my life i've been happily free of excess body hair.

24. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

I'm 27 and I'm already going bald. I'd trade that for gray any day.
    I've started a Propecia regiment but since that isn't covered by my insurance, not like going bald is life threatening, its $64 out of pocket every month for the rest of my life. I'm not looking forward to that. What's worse is that I just started the treatment as of October 1st. The doc says it will take 6 to 8 months to know if the drug will even work on me. In my case its genetic (Dad and his side of the family are Q-balls.) so god only knows if this will work. I’ve noticed a few gray hairs on my goatee all of which I pluck out. I figure its no big deal since I also have a few red hairs and black ones mixed in with the dark blond ones.

25. quixotic macrumors regular

I'll be 31 soon and I started going grey in highschool. I rather like it, I get compliments from women all the time. Grey? Who cares?