White House censors New York Times

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by it5five, Dec 24, 2006.

1. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/22/opinion/22precede.html

I find it interesting (and dangerous) that even though the CIA approved the article to be published as-is, the white house intervened and decided that it shouldn't be, especially since what was written has been in the media before.

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I saw this and think its unwarranted by this clown and his staff we have in the whitehouse. The people's biggest threat is going to be from those wanting to squash free speech. Just more of the same we have had from this administration of lies & spin.

When free speech is squelched this country will be finished and the ones who will be doing this will be flag waving americans. Bush is a good example.

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Why, may I ask, does any editorial published in the New York Times have to be reviewed by the CIA or the White House before publication?

5. it5five thread starter macrumors 65816

it5five

The author of the Op-Ed piece was ex-CIA. He has to submit any of his articles to a review board before it is published to make sure he isn't giving away classified information.

He has submitted the same information before and was approved. It was only this time the White House stepped in and told the CIA they had to censor some of the article.

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

That makes it slightly less disturbing, but still the government shouldn't censor the press.

7. it5five thread starter macrumors 65816

it5five

It's still very disturbing because Bush decided he should intervene. The review panel told him that there was no classified information in his article, but they had to bow to the white house. They censored it for political reasons only.

8. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Not cool at all. I was also wondering about why it would need to be reviewed in the first place, but because he was an ex-special agent or whatever that makes [some] sense as far as classified material goes.

Other than that, I'm still more worried about the lengths that the Government and individual states go into to ban books from elementary, highschool, and even college schools around the nation.

Nobody wants anybody to know anything.

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Thank you for clarifying. I read that article rather quickly, very late last night, and if that information was stated, I obviously missed it.

Like others, I'm still disturbed by the fact that the WH redacted material that had already previously been published. If there's a motivation other than a political one, I'd love to hear it. Otherwise, it suggests that Bush's bunker mentality is reaching, if not exceeding, Nixonian proportions.

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Oh, I think so. Probably long ago. Keep in mind, we didn't even know the full extent of Nixon's paranoia until years after he was out of office, and then really only by accident. I don't think we'll ever know just how deeply this trait runs in the Bush administration, but we've been seeing evidence of it from the very start.

11. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Dubya lots worse than Nixon and horribly off the radar IMHO.

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Without a doubt thats true , remember Nixon had a democratic ran congress. If we had one for Bush this Trillion dollar Iraq thingy wouldnt have happened. Our Republican ran Congress failed this country big time by letting kid george do whatever. More signing statements then any president in history. That should say something.