White House Must Charge or Free Suspect

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Feb 28, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Scary stuff.

Would be scarier if it weren't for those "activist" judges and damn liberal attorneys.

I am somehow reminded of Death Race 2000. Random, I know...and I could think of more relevant pop culture references, but I keep thinking of the themes of that movie and of the President, in his palace in Europe rallying against the French for "ruining our great economy".

Classic movie.

Sorry, it is late and I have be too close to oven cleaner and other high-powered cleaning agents (hand over apt keys tomorrow-moving out)

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I'm not familiar with the movie, but shouldn't that be "railing"? :rolleyes:

4. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

maybe. It is about a cross-country race, after all.

I am so unintentionally clever when intoxicated by deadly household chemicals. Thanks Dow...

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, I was thinking that Padilla was going to be held incommunicado until at least the next administration.

Cynic that I am, I wouldn't be surprised if this administration appeals the decision all the way to the Supreme Court.

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

This is a good call by the judge, sure this guy is a gang member and most likely was going to do something bad but Govt isnt allowed to hold anyone without due cause. Its a little thing called the Constitution. If he is guilty prove it if not let him go. This is the U.S.A. not communist China or Russia. We just going to start holding people and decide they are guilty without due process? Not in my country. What good is Law if we can pick and choose whom it applies.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'll second that. It seems we are willing to export freedom but not those rights which we say are inalienable.

8. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I'm thinking they're trying to decide whether to appeal this.

If they do and lose, they'll have to try him.

If they don't appeal it, they can attempt to claim that the court has overstepped its jursdiction; in effect, they will ignore the order.

My money's on the latter tactic. It so fits their escalating "**** you, we run the whole show around here" behaviour.

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'd guess they'd want to appeal it to the SCOTUS before they take any drastic steps like that. Appealing to the high court could concievable push the problem off far enough. Shoot, he's been in 2.5 years already, what's another while the courts decide and then decide how to force the gov't to release him?

I gather Mossaui is still waiting for the gov't to allow his lawyers to question bin al-shib. The courts ordered that he had the right to do that a long time ago and the gov't still refuses. It's probably still being appealed.

10. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

i'm cynical enough to believe that the only way they'll put the matter before SCOTUS is if they know a priori that they'll get the ruling they want.

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Im not sticking up for this bafoon but holding someone 2.5 years without charging them with a crime seems to me to be a crime. I also think George and the goose steppers will take the later approach of ignoring the judge.