White House Opposes UN Report on Obesity

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jan 16, 2004.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

is there a War on Fruits and Vegetables with which i'm not familiar?

2. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

How could they possibly be opposed to a healthy diet and lifestyle?

3. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Anyone heard the phrase "Fat and Happy."? Well they can recommend until they are blue in the face, pass the Big Macs please. ;) :D

4. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

beef industry, perhaps?

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This must be satire. It is joke, isn't it? Please, please, make it a joke.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Beef Industry...

Fast Food...

Sugar Water...

Donuts...

Fries...

Ice Cream...

Candy...

Coffee...

Chips...

etc.

---

The U.S. economy is built on high calorie foods and meals (even if they are low fat/salt).

Telling Americans to eat less/healthier would collapse the economy.

7. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Whomever is responsible for that denial obviously doesn't go out much in public. :D Definitely doesn't shop at Wally World.

"Fat and happy" is all well and good until you get on a scale and a voice complains, "One at a time, please!" I get a bit fed up with the two-ton Tonys who take up an entire aisle in a store...

To get halfway serious--and I'm in accord as to a healthy diet--it's less a matter of what is eaten than it is how much is eaten. This is particularly true for those who shun exercise and/or physical work. "Will", if you will.

'Rat

8. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

It's quite simple actually, and it ultimately comes down to simple willpower.

Consume less calories per day than you use per day and you will slowly lose weight and be healthy.

The problems arise when people start trying to eat healthy -- they're bombarded by lose-weight-quick schemes and "low fat" food choices.

Of course, the crap that has "low fat" plastered all over the packaging is usually loaded with carbohydrates to the tune of 90% sugars (this is a big reason why Atkins works so well -- it forces people to cut the sugar, and therefore calories, out of their diet).

9. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Only problem with Atkins is the extra strain you put on your kidneys when they process all the extra protein. Much of the initial weight loss there is water weight.

It might be good as a kickstart, but, personally, I don't think it's a good long-term option.

10. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

i have a fundamental problem w/ any diet that advises avoiding fruit

11. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Don't get me wrong, I'm no Atkins supporter. I should have made that clearer.

I was just using it as an example of how our diet can be modified effectively using a psychological approach.

It does produce results, but not for the right reasons. The challenge is to find a simple & effective way to get people to eat a balanced diet of carbohydrates, protein and fats while keeping vitamins, minerals, sugars, sodium, saturated fats and calories at the proper levels.

It's easier for most people to just cut carbs out of their diet than to actually read & interpret the whole Nutrition Facts label and plan healthy homecooked meals.

12. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I was just adding fuel to the fire. I didn't take you for an Atkin's guy. ;)

Like you said before, it's a simple equation (calories in < calories out). Cutting complex carbs is definitely an easy way to do it. Cutting natural carbs (fruits, veggies) robs the body of all kinds of good vitamins, fiber, etc.

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Getting back to the topic for a moment, I had to track this back to the source because honestly it seemed like this story was just too strange to be true. Turns out it is, more or less.

I located Steiger's letter to the WHO here. It's 30 pages in length, but you can get the gist of it in the first ten (the balance are technical responses to specific pages in the WHO report and appendixes). My (non-scientific) conclusion is that the administration's objections are mainly nit-picky and obfuscatory. I mean, how much evidence to you need to connect fat and sugar consumption to obesity? You can argue quantities, and the other factor involved, but certainly these connections have been supported by decades of research.

I can see the hand of the prepared foods industry in this response, and in my reading on this topic, I find the industry lobbying the WHO to change their findings with respect to recommended foods consumption. It would hardly be unusual to find the Bush administration bearing water for industry; in fact, it would be exceptional to find them doing otherwise.

14. wwworry macrumors regular

I think there are new studies linking long term obesity to inactivity in children as young as 3 years old. Also, children that watch a lot of television are more likely to have poorer eating habits. Bad habits start early.

edit: if I drink beer I gain weight. If I drink gin I maintain my weight.

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Tough choice. :)

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yes it takes basic math and reading comprehension skills to read those Nutrition Facts labels.

Plus, they really don't want to know how many calories are in that big bag of chips they're getting at Subway when they multiply servings by calories/fat (but at least it does say low fat). :p

17. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Unless it's grapes or raisins, which are not quite as good for you as you'd think.

18. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Hmmm? Why is that??

Taft

19. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

They're very high in calories for fruit, and almost all of it comes from straight sugar.

Grape juice is awful stuff; it's got about twice the calories of other fruit juices.

20. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

They are relatively high in sugar and simple carbs, compared to other fruits.

But considering a single serving of raisins has around 10% of your daily dietary fiber (ie. they have complex carbs, too), I'd say they are a pretty dang good snack. Compared to other sweets, or even compared to other fruits, it is a very healthy alternative.

Unless you eat a lot of stocky or leafy green vegetables or unprocessed grain products, you are likely not getting nearly enough dietary fiber. And rather than get "good" carbs (complex carbs), you are filling up on the "bad" carbs (simple carbs). I'm not saying simple carbs aren't necessary, but America is basically eating too much over-processed, fiber-free food and not enough natural grain fiber-rich food.

I'd recommend a bowl of raisin bran over a bowl of Cap'n Crunch any day (heck, even over life or any of the other low-sugar/low-fiber cereals out there). I'd also recommend a box of raisins over just about any processed snacks and even over some fruits.

Someone once tried to sell me on the idea that bananas were bad for you. The basis of his argument was that, compared to other fruits, it had a fairly high level of carbs. Well, yes thats true, but it also has healthy levels of fiber, vitamin c, protein, iron and potassium. And it has less carbs that a bag of chips, a sandwich, a candy bar, or just about any other snack you can think of.

I will agree with you on juice though. That about as bad for you as soda, except without the carbonation. I use juice as a fruit substitute in "gotta run" kind of scenarios, but thats about it.

And I totally agree with the posters here that a good diet is all about moderation and exercise. With just a little thought, its easy to look at your diet and see what needs to change to eat more healthily.

Taft

21. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Wellllllll, needin' about another ten or fifteen pounds to get my weight back where it oughta be...

Grapejuice! Nanners! Real ice cream! And all that other healthy stuff, too! More beer!

:D, 'Rat

22. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

i'll drink to that