White House Says Iraq Sovereignty Could Be Limited

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Apr 22, 2004.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

so are we to assume that this june 30 "deadline" is really more symbolic than meaningful?

2. numediaman macrumors 6502a

But this is from the N.Y. Times. Why don't you get some real news? I'll have Sly send you a link to the Drudge Report, OK? ;)

Clearly the administration has backed itself into a corner. It has told the world that "sovereignty" will be handed back to the Iraqis on June 30 -- and now realize that there are some details missing -- like all the details. For instance, who do they hand power to? who handles security? what happens in the event of a conflict between the U.S. and whatever body is technically in charge? Who is responsible should there be a power struggle?

I'm not one of those that thinks the U.S. should delay this date -- it will only make the Iraqis distrust us more (of course, I don't trust us either). But I don't see anyone to hand power to, do you? (Especially since the U.S. was against the idea of early elections -- which helped build all this distrust. They should have never said no to elections. They were really acting like amateurs. You say "yes" then work on the details, delaying if necessary, but you don't say no to elections!)

So, zimv20, you are right -- it will all be symbolic.

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It sure won't be fun to be Scott McClellan on July 1st. I have a feeling there are going to be a whole lot of unanswered questions on that day.

And I can't wait to see if the spin machines on the right start a new chorus of 'mission accomplished' once we've "handed off power" to an Iraqi government.

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Like so many other aspects of the Iraqi adventure, the "handover of power" has not been thought through. I doubt that the US would even have been thinking about it at all unless they had been pushed, and now they're just going to go through the motions. "Limited Sovereignty" indeed! It was never going to be anything else. What "power" are they going to hand over? A large number of the contracts for reconstruction have already been handed out to the FoGs, the Iraqi army doesn't exist, the police are not equipped, the country is not secure, the borders are porous as hell, the public utilities are STILL crap, and Bremer has set a fine example of democracy by shutting down a newspaper and using heavy armour in civilian areas. And to cap it all, the US is ensconced in the ex-Dictator's palace, with its officials (aka colonial office) hardly daring to go outside the Green Zone so they have little idea what they're up against.
    Buch of rank amateurs playing with people's lives, and twisting the english language out of all recognition while they do it, if you ask me. :mad:

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Oh, they'll have answers all right, just not to questions that are actually asked.

6. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

uh-oh, skunk is loosing (sic) it!

OT - i'm also sick of the rampant use of "that" when talking about people. it's "who"!

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Oh my. Now you have me wondering whether I've committed this particular sin of syntax.

8. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

IJ, you would never be one of those people that commit this horrible sin. :D

9. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

that's it! the bbq is OFF!

10. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

But, but ... I was just making the potato salad! How am I to drink all the beer by myself?

11. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

by yourself!

(okay, i know that didn't make a ton of sense...)

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

IV drip? :cool:

13. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

good suggestion! I'm on it. But one question, how do I get the chunks of potato to go through the IV needle?

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Use a creamer, they're really cool! :D