White House threatens veto over giving rights to TSA workers

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Reuters

I don't understand this. Bush's staff and 36 Republicans are holding this domestic security bill hostage over giving even watered-down rights to TSA workers? And the TSA folks would still have no say in being able to strike, or even where they are assigned?

Fine. Let 'em dig themselves in even deeper. All I can say is, this is gonna give the Democrats some wonderful ammunition for the '08 election.

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Yeah, imagine TSA workers striking and being able to ground every flight in the united states because they want more money.

However if their morale was better going thru the security check points might be less like standing in line at the department of motor vehicles.

3. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Yeah, why should the people who provide kabuki security theater get anymore rights than the 16 year old working at McDonald's?

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

5. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I recall that under the federal law that created the TSA (Patriot Act? Homeland Security Act?), TSA was specifically exempted. There was concern raised about it then, too, but with a Republican Congress in place there was little anyone could do about it.

6. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

The point is that they still wouldn't be able to strike if they were allowed to unionize. Many unions have this little clause thrown in. The UFCW (United Food and Commercial Workers) aren't allowed to strike, intiate a slowage, support a strike, etc...

The APWU (American Postal Workers Union) isn't allowed to strike either, probably because when the postal workers did strike in order to gain union representation, the entire postal system completely stopped. If we were to strike again, it would once again throw a wrench (or rather, thousands) into the entire system. Remember how well the national guard did our job? Yeah, not very well.

All that the bill is proposing is giving TSA workers the ability to organize, and to collectively bargain over the terms of their contract to include things like health insurance, something with almost every federal worker has.

Nope. Even some jobs within the USPS don't have benefits. Take for example my job; I'm a DCO (data conversion operator). The Postal Service classifies me as a "Long-Term Temporary Employee" in order to get out of giving me benefits. What that means, is that my contract with the USPS is up after 360 days. It is then again renewed for another 360 days after that, and so on. This is something the union is working on; making sure all Postal Workers have benefits. Yes, I took the job knowing full well it didn't include benefits, but I also think it's really damn unfair that my job, which is just as important to the whole Postal System as any other job, doesn't recieve the same benefits. Thanks to a (really) strong union though, my wages are increased every year, and it will hopefully just be a matter of time before all USPS jobs include benefits.

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

If they even use it. Which they won't. This is the first I've heard about it.

Um, that's not what would or could happen at all. :confused:

8. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Right. It clearly says in the quote I posted that they would still not be allowed to strike: