White iBook RCA cable output

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by frankinmac, Jul 8, 2004.

1. macrumors newbie

Jul 8, 2004

I thought I would be a bit sneaky and get around having to buy the special apple mini-VGA to RCA adapter by using the supplied mini-VGA to VGA adapter attached to a VGA to RCA adapter. Such been the nature of sneakiness though, it doesn't work.

I figure that the OEM apple version can't be much more than a couple of wires crossing over, so there can't be a problem there - the video card must be capable of supplying the appropriate image. What I suspect though is that the computer changes the frequency of the image automatically when the OEM apple adapter is inserted. Because I am only inserting the VGA adapter it doesn't know to change it to that required to an RCA output.

Interestingly on the displays menu when I pull out the adapter a whole heap of unavailable resolutions and frequencies flash up on the screen. I can't help but wonder if I could access that list the problem would be solved. Any advice on how to circumvent this problem?

2. macrumors 65816

Nov 6, 2003
    akron , ohio
    iBook doesn't even have a mini-dvi port! :confused:
    Anyways, the mini-vga to video adaptor is just 20 bucks, buy it..

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 8, 2004
    As an impoverished student I thought I would give this solution a go - at any rate the part in NZ retails for significantly more than $US20.

Sorry about the blue with the DVI - who knows what was going on in my head!
  4. macrumors 6502a

Nov 22, 2003
    Both are analog, so it should work... Are you sure both the cables work properly? Have you tested them before?