Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
I too was skeptical, but not now.
What is the value on these prototypes? Either way, get it to working and that is one cool iPhone to own.

It's nice to read success stories like this.

Pink∆Floyd

macrumors 68020
Nov 21, 2009
Up There
Um, i think it's a listing of an idiot who tried changing the front and back and effed it up.

Were you referencing the "LCD case "marked # DF184" due to converted case".

Key words: DUE TO A CONVERTED CASE

Ha, ha, not a prototype. Just some moron putting bogus white parts on an iPhone. Of course he broke it in the process and dropped it in the toilet. Other than those minor details, it should be just fine..............not!!! :eek:

Move on and don't spend a dime on that POS. :cool:

+1 IMO ... it is an ebay scam

Looks like someone failed to complete a conversion. :p

Never ceases to amaze me what is put up on e bay !

Might have some use as a paperweight I guess.......

I don't know about you, but it's not even possible to see the GB amount. The area is too dark and gray to make out any numbers or letters.

It's not a prototype. It's a failed conversion, and a bad one at that.

Anyone could have purchased that back and put it on. Heck, it could even be photoshopped in.

Google. It's a wonderful tool.

Sorry, but that's not a prototype. I'll believe that it is when you win the auction and prove it. Until then, it's not.

I think it's a dumbass who saw what prototypes go for, did the same Google you did for the differences and tried and horribly failed to make his look like one. It's amazing what stupid people who do for money!

I don't think it's a prototype because the description states that it has a "converted case". Let us know how it goes, though! :) This has peaked my curiosity.

Really? 400 dollars for that?

Goes to show OP, most of the people here don't know what they're talking about, they just baffle lots of negativity without actually taking a second to read and look at the pictures

I think it's great you found a prototype, I had a gut feeling it was!

Congrats!

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
I will admit that at first I didn't think it was a legitimate prototype but now that I see the pictures, I will note that the proximity sensor on yours looks different than those on the conversion kits and the unmarked volume buttons are REALLY cool. :) You should take more pictures and update us when you get home!

Mars478

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
NYC, NY
That's an amazing find. Kudos to you for taking that chance, and coming out a winner.

Enjoy your prototype.

Thank you :)

I too was skeptical, but not now.
What is the value on these prototypes? Either way, get it to working and that is one cool iPhone to own.

It's nice to read success stories like this.

So was I! I've seen some go for thousands of Dollars but most of the time Apple pulls the auctions. Do you think I should attempt to fix the battery connector?

COOL! Keep us updated. ;)

Will do!

I will admit that at first I didn't think it was a legitimate prototype but now that I see the pictures, I will note that the proximity sensor on yours looks different than those on the conversion kits and the unmarked volume buttons are REALLY cool. :) You should take more pictures and update us when you get home!

I will do just that, and will do some high def vids as well.

looks like a proto to me. shame you can't get your hands on it sooner, eh :eek:

Good to hear. Same :(

The main question is, once I get home, should I attempt to fix the battery connector on the motherboard? (I promise if I try to fix it, I will not murder it... it's just the thing if I should leave it natural or not)

Mars478

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
NYC, NY
Pink∆Floyd;13114351 said:
Goes to show OP, most of the people here don't know what they're talking about, they just baffle lots of negativity without actually taking a second to read and look at the pictures

I think it's great you found a prototype, I had a gut feeling it was!

Congrats!

:) Thank you! I was rather skeptical myself... so good to know it worked out :D

Leet Apple

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2009
Canada
Great find, i liked reading this thread from beginning to end...so Apple's okay with Prototypes being sold?

Mars478

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
NYC, NY
Great find, i liked reading this thread from beginning to end...so Apple's okay with Prototypes being sold?

Almost always no, and they take down the auction. Somehow I snagged this because no one believed it was a prototype and it was not advertised as one. Most auctions that are advertised as "IPHONE PROTOTYPE" are taken down within hours if they get coverage by the media.

Djs621

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
Side view of the buttons, which are unmarked...
more photos
213gkzm.jpg

241vvqr.jpg

When's apple gonna fix those black bars on every video recording?

Mars478

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
NYC, NY
Wait wait wait.... so have you confirmed that it's a prototype?

I can only deduce as much as you guys can from these pictures. I get back to my house in the USA on the 22nd and i had my family send me these photos. I asked them to give me the Serial, but they were afraid they were going to scratch it by removing the SIM Tray(I told them how valuable it is and they know how I treat my stuff so they wouldn't want to damage it...). I guess we'll have to wait till I get home.
So I mean, I'm pretty sure we can confirm it is a prototype from these pictures because I don't know of any place you can get parts like these.

Quite interesting. Good find! Want to make a profit hahaha?
Thank you! Yes actually, that is one of the options I am weighing. Know what I can make?

When's apple gonna fix those black bars on every video recording?

What do you mean? The way my mom recorded the video? She doesn't know that a correctly filmed video is in landscape -_-

Mars478

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
NYC, NY
Link to the auction and how much I paid for it in the OP. But as dave006 said, that is the amount I paid. I believe it is a small price to pay for Apple history.

techgirl117

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2011
I read all of the posts and at first I have to say I didn't believe it was a prototype. Now I've changed my mind and I do believe it's a prototype! It does suck though that you have to wait so long until you can get your hands on it! Good job on taking a gamble and coming out the winner! :) :apple:

Leet Apple

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2009
Canada
Almost always no, and they take down the auction. Somehow I snagged this because no one believed it was a prototype and it was not advertised as one. Most auctions that are advertised as "IPHONE PROTOTYPE" are taken down within hours if they get coverage by the media.

Then you are one lucky guy, congratulations on your new purchase. hopefully it actually starts working

JetBlack7

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2011
Portugal
I just don't know why would anyone want a prototype when they could have a final product fully functional.

EvanLugh

macrumors 68000
Aug 29, 2007
Developer land
I just don't know why would anyone want a prototype when they could have a final product fully functional.

your contribution to this thread is worthless. it's pretty self-explanatory why one would want a prototype, and it's not like it's his/hers first idevice.

JetBlack7

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2011
Portugal
your contribution to this thread is worthless. it's pretty self-explanatory why one would want a prototype, and it's not like it's his/hers first idevice.

I will not give you a reason to reply me back because I don't feed trolls.

I was just saying that I didn't understood the reason why people would like a prototype, I prefer the final product because I don't feel the need nor want a prototype, but if the OP always wanted and gives the prototype value because it's what he wanted, then it's another story and so I encourage him.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.