white keyboard

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by synthetickittie, Feb 13, 2003.

1. synthetickittie macrumors regular

Dec 17, 2002
    I have heard that the keyboard Im going to be getting with my powermac is going to be white. I dam know that no matter how hard I try its gonna get dirty after a few months from wokring on it all day and with the pc I have right now every 4-5 months or so I pluck off all the keys and clean under it becaues it just black keys and it is a pain, now with a white keyboard its gonn be hell. Id rather just pay about 20 dollars to have a clear cover on my keyboard insteed of doin this. So does anyone know where I can find a clear keyboard cover for the pro mac keyboard? I search and only found something called iskin and its only for notebooks...
  2. gotohamish macrumors 65816

Jul 15, 2001
    Re: white keyboard

Man, if I'd known! I've just got back from Japan and all the mac shops have those - but I will tell you, they're AWFUL to type on and would piss you off so much more than cleaning the keys!

If you really want the black keyboard, sell your pristine white keyboard on eBay and get a black one either new or on eBay.

Also, someone here on the boards might trade you. Worth a shot.

I've got a Dual1.42 on order and am annoyed about the white keyboard too. The white and silver will not 'go' at all - plus I use a silver logitech traveller mouse which will look great with the PM, but not with the keyboard, good thing I've got a couple of spare black keyboards for my powerbook and tower. I'd offer you one, but they're filthy too!
  3. unc32 macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2002
    The white isn't that big of a deal. Every so often it gets a little dirty and you simply rub it with a damp cloth. Good as new. I've had mine for a year and only cleaned it once. I use it everyday and with dirty hand (lab work).
  4. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

Jan 5, 2003
    I have had my white keyboard for about a month and a half, and it's pretty clean. The only thing, is that there is a little bit of dust/dirt under the plastic covering. The keys are fine though.
  5. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

Apr 12, 2002
    The white keyboards have a differend feel than the black ones. It is all about preference.
  6. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    I've had my white keyboard about 12 months. It's still clean really.

Black keyboards can show dirt and dust just as much as a white one.

Your habits around the keyboard will make all the difference.
  7. janey macrumors 603

Dec 20, 2002
    sunny los angeles
    Black goes so well with the Power Mac i don't understand why Apple's shipping WHITE pro keyboards with them-they only look good with the eMacs or iMacs!!!
  8. awulf macrumors 6502

Mar 1, 2002
    South Australia
    Apple ships the white keyboards because they make them in bulk, so it reduces the price. Plus Apple making all their products as white as possible. -- So much for their selling points of the original iMac.

My black keyboard goes white with dust.

The white keyboards blind you especially when the room as flouro lights.
  9. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    I guess it's a different decade, so you get a different fashion statement.

Much the same thing is happening wil=th cell phones and pagers. They were basically black until this past year and now, they have a silverish faceplate or outer casing.

Yes, I know there have been custom faceplates for some cell(mobil) phone models, and there have been pagers of verious colors. I am talking about what you see when you walk into a cell(mobil) phone store.

And as to awulf's other point, yes, having only one color does reduce inventory cost and the like. I know you can still get black pro keyboards, but I guess the question is how much longer will they be available? Is Apple still making them or is it limited to available inventory? I don't care either way, the keyboard won't be next to the PowerMac, it'll be next to the display. I need the desk surface to use, so the PowerMac will be on the floor.