White Macbook, Fans running all the time, heatsink -1

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by qsoundrich, Aug 6, 2009.

1. macrumors member

Dec 23, 2007
    For the past couple of weeks I've noticed that my old white macbook is running hot, and browsing has been kind of slow. I don't see anything out of the ordinary in the processes, but Heatsink A is reading -1. Should I just pull the machine apart and see if something isn't connected anymore? I installed a 7200 RPM HD a few months ago, but this problem is more recent.

Attached Files:

2. macrumors 6502a

Aug 30, 2006
    What happens when you set iStat to display the widget horizontally? I'm just wondering what the ... after the -1 is. It seems like this might be a defective sensor of some sort, but it shouldn't do anything to bog the system down. All a heatsink does is disperse heat. And if the temperature went up, I don't think the fans would kick in unless the CPU itself gets hot.

As for opening the machine, I wouldn't do it if you still have the warranty on it. Even if the warranty has expired, I would try to contact Apple first and see what can be done. If they can't help, then I would go in to the machine. Just make sure to back up everything!
  3. thread starter macrumors member

Dec 23, 2007
    OK i was just looking at it again, and the Heatsink A temp is all wonky. It goes up to 230 and down to -85 in a few seconds. I wonder how to fix the sensor....

I'm not inclined to take it anywhere, because I don't want to pay for them to fix it. Working on computers doesn't scare me, but good reminder about backing up first.
  4. macrumors 65816

Feb 4, 2006
    is this a 2GHz Core Duo MacBook by any chance ? (MacBook 1,1) ?

If it is then don't worry - it is a fault with iStat that never seems to get fixed - one second it reads -80 the next +60. The other Heatsink sensor works correctly ?

If so don't worry - nothing wrong with the hardware - faulty software !!!!