White Macbook Turning black??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Peruvian, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Peruvian macrumors regular

Peruvian

The outer casing of my white Macbook is slowly turning black i kid you not.. All four corners are getting discoloured and also some areas near the speakers and the hinge at the back..

I dont have any pics to show yet cause my camera is on holiday with my bro, but has anyone else seen the casing of their macbook get discoloured?

I have a feeling it could be my sleeve, but I have tried to clean the marks and they wont go...

Any suggestions? Could something like this be cover by applecare??

Thanks P.....

2. dreamsINdigital macrumors 6502

It's a known issue, search the forums. Take it to the Apple store and they'll replace the casing for you.

3. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

Yes, Apple has acknowledged this problem (as the above poster stated). Right now they are quietly replacing discolored white MacBooks. If you're near an Apple store, take it in and be firm about your MacBook being defective, they will replace it.

4. apachie2k macrumors 6502

apachie2k

5. Peruvian thread starter macrumors regular

Peruvian

hehe maybe you are right but ive searched the forum looking for related threads and cant find any..

maybe its telling me i should have bought the black macbook...

6. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

Keep using it as you have been. Before long the whole thing will be black and you would have saved yourself $200 :D

7. Peruvian thread starter macrumors regular

Peruvian

Hmmm, i wonder wat the macbook would look like with Black outer casing and white keyboard and trackpad etc???

8. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Is it just dirt, or is it stained? There's a difference. The staining was a problem. The turning brown from the dirt on your wrists (like it did on the iBooks), isn't a problem, just buy a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and clean it.

9. Peruvian thread starter macrumors regular

Peruvian

Im talking about the outside case of the macbook.. The glossy shiney case, not the trackpad, wristpads etc..

10. fatties macrumors regular

The inside of my mb is turning black. I don't think its discolouration because its like touching things when you have touched the newspaper (though i haven't). iklear isn't removing it so what should i use next???

May be we should both try toothpaste for a minty fresh result. i read somewhere here that it really worked for someone's ibook.

it really scares me when i walk past other people's old ibook and the whole thing is yellow in and out and looks like a piece of c**p.

11. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

Contact Applecare or if you have an Apple Store near you take it in. This shouldn't really happen but the only way to avoid/prevent it is to use a protective covering e.g.

http://www.shieldzone.com/category/laptops/
    http://www.macstyles.com/products/macstyles/

Not sure what these look like when then are on though.

12. qqqqqiang macrumors newbie

i think the most obvious reason is that its probably packed by micheal jackson...:p ...jk

13. jTreu macrumors 6502

the bottom of my ibook case was turnng gray/black, toothpaste and it looks liek new.:)

14. emw macrumors G4

emw

Interesting theory, although I'd think that would cause the opposite problem to the OP's. ;)

15. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

The natural bare unfinished color of the plastic is black. At least that's the way with the PowerBook. Don't ask me how I know this; you don't want to know. ;)

16. Eric374 macrumors 6502

Eric374

Like a Holstein cow, rather fitting with the "moo", don'tcha think?:p

Eric