White Macbooks

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by falcon1, Nov 8, 2006.

1. falcon1 macrumors regular

falcon1

I've seen the black macbooks and they will discolor will the white macbooks do that or will they keep their shine and look new until someone happens to the finish?

2. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

it stays pretty sharp looking, kinda easy to scratch but nothing to bad unless you're really looking for it. Just make sure you get some mr. clean magic erasers because after a few weeks you'll see dirt marks on where your palms rest, but the magic erasers take that away no prob.

3. falcon1 thread starter macrumors regular

falcon1

So it will take the little slick part where you fingers type and your palms rest?

4. AndyM macrumors member

When i was in the 5h avanue mac store i couldn't believe how the black macbooks had discoloured as i wanted one. The white macbooks on the other hand looked perfect still, not a single problem in the way the blackbooks are (mainly for the fact its far less noticable probably).

I ended up getting a white macbook and love it, don't have a single regret for not getting a black one.

5. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

Or maybe the Black one gets the traffic and gets hammered on in the store more - probably a large ratio of white to black Macbooks...just another thought.

6. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

mick4394

Scratches tend to show up more on black than white, haven't you ever noticed how every little chip or scratch sticks out like a sore thumb on a black car. Anyone who's ever owned a black car knows what it's like to wash your car one night and wake up in the morning only to find it covered in water spots from dew.

Black is just harder to keep clean and new looking. That's exactly why I bought a white iPod and a white Macbook over the black versions.

7. AndyM macrumors member

Well the black macbook was showing signs of white. the white macbooks can't really get much whiter!

There is a chance, but not a single white macbook showed signs that it has discoloured, and every black macbook had showed signs. Also when i was there it was equally as hard to get on the black macbooks as the white, so no don't totally agree with the larger ratio.

8. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

here's the thing: white things get dirty. I had a white MB, and then I started looking around my labs (I'm a graphics major - lots of macs walking around) at some of the older iBooks, and it was awful. That, along with how easily the outer casing picks up scratches, and I knew I had to get a different computer.

Now, don't get me wrong.. I know there are people out there that clean their white MBs/iBooks every week and have since it was new, and those are probably still pretty good looking (minus the scratches).. but I don't want a computer that needs that much maintenance.

I moved on to a black MB, and the smudges were just.. horrible. Granted, I would rather have those because they're easy enough to clean off, but again with the maintenance.. I'd clean it, and within an hour it would have fingerprints and smudges all over it again.

Truly, the alum. casing is the best.. hardly shows dirt or smudges.. you can actually *gasp* touch your laptop!

9. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

i like the white macbook way more than the black one. imo it just looks nicer

10. sierra oscar macrumors 6502

the black MB's look cheap to me actually - maybe that isn't the right word though....

Even if preferred the Black over the white - I'd still choose white for all the reasons given here - the oil deposits! just stand out way too much. I've not seen a non-shiny blackbook yet - shiny to the point of looking tired and old.

Sure the white gets mucky too - but it's usually dirt which one has more control over.

The blackbook does look nice right out of the box though - it's not ugly, but it just looks cheap to me... tacky maybe? or something...

No disrespect to those of you who have Blackbooks - it's still a mac and is therefore a good product - just expressing my personal tastes...

11. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

12. kentrox99 macrumors member

To the OP, I think there is a major difference in discoloration and simply "showing smudges". The white macbooks had a discoloration problem where the palmrests turned a nasty yellow/brownish color. They could not be cleaned. This problem has be resolved. The black macbooks don't stain. They just show oil smudges that can easily be cleaned off. My black macbook is 5 months old. It shows smudges. But I can whipe it off and it looks brand new.

13. drb6 macrumors regular

Do you find yourself constantly wiping your blackbook? This is a serious question.

14. kentrox99 macrumors member

No. I don't see the point in constantly cleaning it. I clean it about once a week. It takes about 2 seconds to wipe off the finger prints.