All iPads White or Black iPad mini?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by yannoulecomte, Aug 11, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Apr 21, 2013
    I plan on buying Apple's latest tablet, the iPad 5 or iPad mini 2, but I have hard time choosing which color. When I used my friend's iPad 3 (white), it seemed that retina displays stands out more than on a black one. But with the black, you are less distracted by the bezels.

Anyone here with a white iPad that can tell me if the white bezels really are a problem and if retina display stands out more?

Oh and black iPad mini owners, does a single nail scratch and the slate shows off a lot?

2. macrumors 6502a

Jun 14, 2013
    My wife and I both have iPad 4's and Mini's. She insisted that her iPad 4 had to be white, but only because she liked the color regardless. When she bought a Mini last week, she chose black because my black devices were less distracting. She has commented several times about liking black better on the front.

I've had my Mini for several months, and it doesn't have even the slightest scratch. You could buy a protective skin or case, but the Mini's light weight and smaller size mean it gets set down more lightly, and bumps into things less often (and with much less force).
  3. Contributor

Jul 29, 2008
    Kite flying
    I would say that the white is more striking, and possibly more attractive looking, whereas the black is more muted, more practical and less likely to be immediately noticed (a good thing when travelling as you may not wish to attract too much attention).

Personally, because I travel a lot, I chose the black.
  4. macrumors 68040

May 10, 2010
    Same answer as usual: Black

With a foil to protect against scratches, fingerprint and reflection
  5. macrumors 68000

Dec 13, 2012
  6. macrumors regular

Aug 1, 2013
    = bollocks.

I prefer black becuase the bezel is less distracting. It's why movie theatres are dark, so you only see what matters; the onscreen stuff. Also, when white things get dirty and grimey, it shows more.
  7. darngooddesign, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2013

macrumors G3

Jul 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Black if you primarily watch videos.

White if you do a variety of things where the content has lighter colored backgrounds.

But mainly, get the color you like the looks of.
  8. macrumors 65832

Aug 17, 2011
    Which ever you like. Comments like above are nonsense
  9. macrumors 68040

Jun 26, 2009
    Burpelson AFB
    The white with the lighter anodized aluminum back is beautiful. It looks like a scientific instrument. I wish the black model had the white one's back.

Of course it's a matter of personal preference. I have a black iPhone 5. I'd prefer a white iPad mini... once it's available with a retina display ;)
  10. macrumors 65816

Aug 15, 2010
    White. Rarely watch videos and it hides all fingerprints.

Attached Files:

11. macrumors 68000

Nov 2, 2006
    And Yourself?
    I love the look of the white. Doesn't bother me one bit when I'm watching videos.
  12. macrumors 65816

Apr 13, 2006
    I personally prefer black and don't have any scratches on mine...bought on release day but I did put a cheap TPU cover over the back which doesn't add any weight. You can always get a skin if you feel you made the wrong choice later on or a case even...Buy the color you prefer.
  13. macrumors 68030

Apr 8, 2013
    I have a white one. I think it looks beautiful, however the black one is pretty nice too. I think the iPhone 5/iPad mini design was really nice this time round. The iPod touch 5th gen had quite a good look too.

I don't find the bezel distracting at all and I watch a lot of videos. Before I bought my mini I looked at the white and black side by side and the white just stood out more to me so I bought the white.
  14. macrumors 6502

Nov 8, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    No. Just no
  15. macrumors 68000

Dec 13, 2012
    father & son = black iPad min's/ipod/iphone
    wife & daughter = white iPads, ipod/iphone

So Yes
  16. macrumors member

Jun 23, 2003
    Are you joking or serious?

So you're sample of four people is statistical significance in representing all of humanity? Such a scientific and rock solid formula. I like Coke, my wife likes Pepsi, ergo all men must like Coke and Women must like Pepsi. Great deductive analysis; you get a gold star.
  17. macrumors 6502

Nov 13, 2011
    Oh wow, your iPhone is black. So manly.

Mine is white, and I love it. Get over yourself.
  18. macrumors 6502a

May 12, 2010
    I'm a iPhone is White, I'm secure with this. Moving on...:p
  19. techiebug, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013

macrumors 6502

Oct 20, 2013
    Deffinitely black. I won't buy white front ever again. White may look attractive at first, but in the long run, black is always better. And I like the device looks all black when screen's off.
  20. macrumors member

Sep 20, 2013
    Guess only women were allowed to own Apple products prior to the U2 iPod :)

I'm a guy with a white iPhone and will be getting a black iPad just to switch it up.
  21. macrumors member

Sep 21, 2012
    White for me, this time around. I've had a black iPhone 4, iPad 2, and iPhone 5. I'm ready to change things up. Going with a white iPad mini and a white iPhone 6 (presumably).
  22. macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2012
    No scratches on mine. I use it naked and very often. The only time it's in a sleeve is when it's in my purse. I bought it to use not preserve. I take reasonable precautions not to damage. Not religious about scratch prevention. So far no scratches. Back of nine is black.