White Powerbook

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by AmbitiousLemon, Jun 19, 2002.

1. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

Well this is my Powerbook (lombard) G3. Sprint white with a clear gloss over coating and a white keyboard.

if you have 'visited' me on kdx then this is the machien you were on.

cute little machine, well beyond its prime, but with a lil makeup now it doesnt look so bad.

next i want to make a laptop ant farm, so im looking for a broken laptop for cheap. might just go to apple but i hate bothering my friends there for little things. so if you have a broken machine ill give you some cash for it. you can keep any of the inards you want.

Attached Files:

2. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

It certaintly makes your lombard distinctive ;)

Had you seen something similar before, or was this just on a whim?

3. AmbitiousLemon thread starter Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

applefritter has a lot of these types of mods. really the only thing original is the color. i hadnt seen white before.

thats why i want to do the ant farm next. never seen anything like it. sort of an adaptation of the imac aquarium idea.

4. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

looks cool! would you be game to try something like that on a G4 TiBook?:D

5. AmbitiousLemon thread starter Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

that would be pretty fun. since its nt been done yet. i think i woudl use a translucent paint so as to let the metalic brushed metal finish shine through the color. not sure where i can find a keyboard for it but i think i could find something.

6. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I like the white lemon!

and I had no idea I was on a Pismo...he he he ;)

7. AmbitiousLemon thread starter Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

i have hardly gotten to use the new computer (cept through ARD) but i think i like it. i was building a bookcase at the same time and i didnt give it as much attention as i should have (kept having to wipe saw dust off the new paint). looks pretty sharp though. expect to see a detailed story of the little project at the new ambitiouslemon.com. none of the similiar projects at applefritter had very good pictures and walk throughs so i had to email a lot of people to find out what type of paint works and such. figured id take a lot of pictures of the process and help people out in the future.

8. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Ti mod

You know, if it wasn't so damned hard to take the case apart on the TiBook (and get it to just the metal), I would be getting mine chromed. But, alas, it is not to be. Maybe someone will make a good skin set, or sell the case chromed in the future for pople with the knowledge (or big, chrome balls) to exchange it.

9. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

Holy lord, a chrome TiBook. Alpha's gonna be BLINGIN'!!! What's next, platinum and diamonds? Sounds pimpalicious... :D

10. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    hahahahaha! Platinum and Diamonds! Sounds right up Dr. Smith's alley!

11. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

why hasn't anyone made different cases for the TiBooks? (for retail)

and why can't i buy replacement cases? if i could i would definitely try custom painting the case.

12. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

It would be so cool to see rappers with TiBooks all chromed up! That is a really cool idea with the white on the old powerbook. I think the glowing white Apple is the coolest thing. They should do that with Ti.

13. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

huh? the TiBooks do have a white glowing Apple.

14. DavPeanut macrumors 6502

Why does the case matter?

Why does it matter if the case is Lemon or white or chrome? Ya, it looks better. But does it make the computer run faster? I dont think so. I like the Platinum and Diamond idea.

15. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Re: Why does the case matter?

its just about the show man.

16. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Does a car that is black run better then one that is pink (same exact vehicle)??? No, it's all about personal preference and taste (come on a pink car??? what man, straight man that is, would be caught dead owning a pink car? :D).

17. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

true that!

personally a moded out tibook is what i would call all show and all go.

i thinks its cooler...or better to have a moded out tibook as opposed to just a tibook.

im wating for mods to come out for my digital ride!:D

18. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

he he he...it would match his Harley... ;)

I'd love to make a few mods to my Ti...maybe change the color of the glowing apple...but I'm just not up to tearing it down to do it...

however, there are some skins available...don't remember the website...but they were working on something for the TiBook from what I remember...anyone have the addy??

19. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I went to a bike shop not far from where I live that not only works on them, but builds them up custom for people. They offer better service rates on some things then the Harley dealerships (I know, no duh :p ). I will be using them for my major customization jobs, which I have penciled in for a few years from now. Until then, I will go there for the minor parts that I can install, and the ones that they need to, or I don't feel like.

As for a chrome TiBook... I don't think I would want to take the housing off the screen at least not until the warranty runs out. Maybe in a few years I will check into chroming up all the titanium, but not until then. If I did it, and I had to send it to Apple for repair, I would wager that I would have voided the warranty by chrome plating the laptop... :D

20. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Dude u probably won't keep it that long. When the newer PBooks come out, u will figure out a way to ditch your Rev. C & scope a new one...I just know it... ;)

21. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

True, true, true... Something better, faster, svelter will come out and I will just HAVE to have it... I did go over a year on the last one though... :D... maybe I will be able to go a few with this one...

22. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

lemon,

that is a great laptop!

alpha,

chrome would be really great

i would like to fashion a laptop out of some nice exotic wood...in general, computers don't match furniture too well and perhaps the least intrusive machine to a wood decor is still the black laptop

if i had a jetson's modern house, then any mac would fit right in seamlessly, but i am in an old style apartment so the high tech computers look out of place...but i have ditched all the desktops and now it's just two laptops

now, to find a way to get rid of those bulky beige plastic printers

i have seen expensive, solid wood furniture made for hiding all computer gear so a house can keep its pre-computer decor intact...the cpu housing has a wood sliding door over it as well as the printer when not in use...all cabling is judiciously hidden in the back

the drawers are made for the dimensions of floppys, zips, and cds and those too can all be closed

i have seen a mock up of an all wood powerbook g3 and the thing looked really nice (at least for my place)

23. Phaedrus macrumors member

Pink Car

uhhm. . . try Elvis.

24. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: Pink Car

Everyone knows he was a freak towards the end, and on some serious drugs too. Never mind the fact that I don't care for the music he put out...

25. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

jethatfield... thats why you match the furniture with the computer.

thats the way it should be in my opinion at least. but who am i to offer an opinion in the first place.

im just hanging out. no one special.

dig it.