Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Hi guys,

I am very worried I have a hardware problem on my hands after what just happened.

I admittedly was running a lot of apps at the same time: Safari, recording audio with quicktime, textedit, mail, ical, ichat, pages, dictionary, preview (all were open).

I took a picture with PhotoBooth and afterward the screen STAYED white (like the flash)--however the white was transparent enough I could see everything beneath it. The computer acted slowly, but I was able to close everything up and save what I needed to. Then with everything closed, the screen still white, I went to System Prefs and changed the resolution from the native to a lower thing to see if it would get the screen to "snap out of it"--just an instinct I had that it would. And it did!

However, right after I did this my desktop image was replaced by the default OS X blue picture.

Before all this had happened PhotoBooth had been hanging a lot, where I couldn't force quit it from the Dock or from the Apple menu and had to restart. Safari also crashes regularly. I deleted the pref files for both those apps.

I have been planning on doing a full archive back up and then installing the OS fresh over it (writing zeros, not the archive and install option) since my computer has just gotten junky and buggy--but I just wonder if there's a hardware problem?? The reason I am paranoid is that with my iBook G3 and Performa 5200 hardware trouble was indicated by screen distortions--and so a white veil on the screen sends chills through me!

One last detail: I took a screenshot after the white veil occurred, and the white veil is not there in the screenshot--not sure if this indicates hardware vs. software problem.

Blubbert

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2006
The white veil you experienced is probably the increase in screen brightness that photobooth uses to create a flash effect. I really cant help you with the crashes and the sluggishness, but you should try to repair permissions, and repair the disk by booting off the cd that came with your computer.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Well I had just done the two steps you mentioned actually because of previous problems.

I realized the white veil is probably somewhat related to the PhotoBooth app, but the fact is that it stayed on the screen even after PhotoBooth had successfully quit which makes me think it wasn't entirely related to that app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.