White Screen?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jekyl, Feb 3, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

jekyl

I know this has probably been covered before, but my searches found nothing helpful.

My 32gig gen 4 fell ~14" from the seat of our couch onto carpet and the screen went white. I've tried holding home/power for varying periods of time ranging from 5-30 seconds, it always comes back as white. Same when trying vol+/home/power. Connecting to my mac and attempting restore also leaves the screen white. During all of this I've never seen anything on the screen, only off, dimmed and white. I'm assuming it's toast, but is there any other actions beyond Viking burial at sea and out of warrantee action through Apple?

2. macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Have you tried turning it off and back on? I had that happen to my old second gen a couple years ago although I didn't drop it. I held the power button for about 10 seconds so I was sure the "slide to power off" thing was up and I slid my finger where it would be. It turned off and I turned it back on and all was well.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

jekyl

Just now did. The swipe did shut it down but turning it back on just brought back the white screen. Sigh.

4. macrumors 6502

j.dstasio

If a reboot didn't fix it, you either knocked the LCD connector loose or damaged the LCD. A little heat from a heat gun & the front display will pry off pretty easily & you can check.

5. thread starter macrumors regular

jekyl

From looking on the Apple website it looks like they'll take care of it for $99 if I understand it right. I've had it long enough that the battery is pretty iffy anyway. They won't do a $99 swap at an Apple store Genius Bar would they? There's one an hour or so away from me.

6. macrumors 6502

A 14 inch fall not that its anything major could do many things but in all reality the lcd connection is most likely loose,Ive put a lot of them together and the screen be white then I press firm on the connector and it starts working,also had them turn white and stay white but id surely check the connection before spending $$$$ on it, whichever suits you best.

7. thread starter macrumors regular

jekyl

If opening the bugger meant a few screws I'd go for it. But in this case I've made a genius appt. for Thursday and will shoot for an exchange.

Looking really closely I see three or four really faint vertical lines near the right side of the screen when it's lit, so I guess it could be either the screen or screen cable. But as I said before the battery is nearly shot anyway.