White? Will Apple Change The iMac Color?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Mr. Anderson, Mar 30, 2003.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

So after a recent trip to the Apple Store again in Clarendon today, I was thinking that things are too white. What will Apple do to make things more interesting with the iMacs? I'd love to see a black or dark version, it would make so much sense since not every decor really looks good with a white iMac.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

D

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Apple needs a black line with a keyboard that lights up like the 17" powerbook. i would love a black imac and maybe a color changing one with clear translucent plastic that changes colors as you feel. with a 970 in it thank you apple.

3. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

i dunno computer flare seemed like a thng of the tech boom. I like the simplicity of white and hope apple keeps the white/silver motiff. Also i think apple is try to Look different compared to all those blakc dells out there.....

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

this may be so but i would expect the next major revision in the powermac line. Then after that a total new revision imac sort of like the bondi blue to the classic imac if you will. so the current will be improved somehow such as new or multi colored or maybe even slightly bigger displays with a better video card and cpu. Maybe the color changing imac?

5. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ah, no, I didn't mean it would be the next new thing, I was just commenting on the general impression of lots of white. And I don't see anything happening to the iMac until after the 970 gets out in June.

What I meant was that maybe a darker color, grey or black would work since, like I said, white isn't good for every desktop. Colors wouldn't be appropriate, would be too fanciful. Stick with classic style and colors.

Black would be slick, not cute.

D

6. daniel77 macrumors 6502

Re: White? Will Apple Change The iMac Color?

i have seen a render of a black imac and it looked soo much cooler. apple needs to take the hint for once, from pc makers, that black is in :p

7. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i wish apple would change the back of the ipod to the same as the whole ipod. itw ouldnt scatch as much and may look nicer, not sure because i have never seen what it would look like. i like the whiteness, but not on the keyboards. white keyboards get way to dirty.

iJon

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

A backlighted keyboard of any color would be cool. i like to game with the light off and trying to type sometimes on the black keyboard is a drag. Yeah i hunt and peck? the 17 inch powerbook has a excellent keyboard.

9. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Personaly the White of the iMacs is ugly. The plastic doesn't look good and it's prone to smudges from dirty fingers.

Black is prone to showing too much dust. Black PC's look like shiza a year later.

The best neutral color Apple could use is what they use in the Powermacs. A Gray/Graphite like color. Not too dark...not too light.

Please Apple dump the White. It makes iMacs look like some cheesy appliance. White =boring.

10. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I like the white on the iMacs and on the iBooks. I think that it is very simple looking, yet it is still stylish.

A backlit keyboard would be a great idea for the iMacs and PowerMacs.

11. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

Re: Re: White? Will Apple Change The iMac Color?

I saw a picture from a website (I think japanese but I don't want to offend anyone) that someone had painted their iMac black. It looked really cool. I wish I knew what that site was...

12. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

I believe the back is that color to distribute heat.

13. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

its a metal not a color :)
    the ibooks are able to dissapate heat thru plastic....

14. Tommy! macrumors regular

But white goes with everything!

I think Apple assumes that everyone cleans their computer like I do :p

'member the revision a-e imacs though? matte keyboard w/ black keys, matte mouse, and a shiny (how shiny depends on revision) case. It worked rather perfectly. The pro mouse pisses me off because it gets sooo dirty! and you really dont have a choice but to put your hands on it! (if you have found another way to use it, let me know) I think that apple should take a hint from... well, Apple.

15. janey macrumors 603

janey

the day apple releases a whole line of black power macs, powerbooks, iBooks, iMacs, eMacs, cinema displays and iPods i will be first in line at the apple store to buy all the computers they have in stock.

16. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

hehe, nice.

I'm checking if anyone de-whited there products. I remember some alchol removed the white from the iBooks... I wonder if a metal iMac looks good... hmmmm.. :)

17. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

How about a brushed metal iMac. Everything should go brushed metal!!!!

Actually that would be horrible. Keep it white. Nice and pure. :)

18. daniel77 macrumors 6502

i saw that, the clear ibook, now that is an awesome hack :D

19. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

But that was my point, white doesn't go with everything, same to be said for black. That's what's nice about a possible option.

However, a neutral, cool looking grey is also a good option. But then they'd have to do something with the PowerMac line, since it seems like they're keeping things diferentiated.

Bottom line, I'd like a choice other than white but not a fruity color. :D

D

20. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Personally, I love the white. It's simple, yet elegant. I mean, how often do you pay attention to the color? I'm usually focused on what's on the screen, not what the screen is connected to.

I don't want to see Apple wasting people on developing some sort of color changing case. That would be a waste of resources. Get the 970 in and better DDR support, then focus on case changes.

21. dynamicd macrumors 6502

22. icetraxxg5 macrumors 6502

NEVER to my iMac! :eek:

I want my iMac to be multicolored... sortof like the old Apple logo! ;) or it would be really cool if they made a special edition bondi iMac. :)

23. anneleonard macrumors regular

That black iMac looks terrible, I can't imagine anything worse! The colours of the old iMac look really dated now, nearly tacky, I think (imho). I love the whiteness of my iMac, I would never paint it. I was thinking of painting my printer so it co-ordinated more, though. I tried to find a really white printer to look like it went more with a mac, and I did my best, but the Canon S200X has a blue front. i was thinking about buying some silver paint :rolleyes:
    The only thing i worry about with the whiteness is that I saw an iMac in PC world at the weekend, and it looked so shabby with all the fingerprints on. Does anyone have any cleaning tips to keep it looking white?

24. daniel77 macrumors 6502

just use some wet paper towel.

25. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

One thing I've noticed on this thread is that there a quite a lot of people who would be happy to have other colors than white. Black, grey, and the rainbow.....

This to me says that maybe they need to have an option.

D