Whither VirtualPC 7?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by SeanMcg, Aug 18, 2004.

1. SeanMcg macrumors 6502

SeanMcg

Now that Windows XP SP2 has been released, sort of, I have a few questions:
    Has anyone heard when Microsoft plans to release VPC 7?
    Does anyone have any predictions?
    Does anyone think that Microsoft will ship a version of VPC with their new XP Starter Edition? ​
    Although I think that "XP Lite" isn't the brightest of ideas, if its hardware requirements have been reduced in parallel with its capabilities, it might be a good candidate for VirtualPC. After all, for those of us who use VirtualPC, how often do we really try to do "heavy lifting" with it?

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

They are still working on SP2, and I'm sure that they will put up all these problems they are having as reason to delay VPC7. I wouldn't hold your breath. I'll be surprised if it comes out this year.

3. micvog macrumors 6502

micvog

Actually work on SP2 finished a few weeks ago and has been available for download from MS since last week. It is being released to the Windows Automatic Update this evening but apparently causes compatability issues with many programs include Microsoft Office (!), AOL 9.0, McAfee VirusScan and Norton AntiVirus, WinFax Pro and others.

Look for VPC 7.0 in late October.

Edit: I have been told an XP Lite version will NOT be offered.

4. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

There is an 80MB file that is available for download, but the full version is over 200MB.

5. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Isn't XP lite desgined only for certain countries--ones in which full-priced windows is likely too expensive?

I agree that in principle it would be good--no networking and only three programs opened at once (or whatever)--but seeing as MS owns VPC, I doubt they're looking to sell a low-priced version.

6. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

XP Starter Edition is a stripped down version meant to be sold cheaply in Asia to keep people there from moving to Linux. It won't be available here.

I'm really curious to see what happens to VPC now. They said that they wanted to wait until SP 2 to ship it, which always seemed like a very weak explanation to me. They're still shipping Windows XP every day--in large numbers--without SP 2. It's not as if Mac users can't download SP 2 and it's not like Microsoft to wait until a product is ready before they ship it. So I've always found the "we're waiting for SP 2" explanation to be fishy.

So now what? SP 2 is anounced, so why isn't VPC? Are they going to wait until SP 2 is fixed now? I've said it before, but if the end of the year rolls around and there's no VPC I'm going to start smelling vaporware. It wouldn't be the first time Microsoft bought a product just to kill it.

7. SeanMcg thread starter macrumors 6502

SeanMcg

Benefit of the doubt..

Let's say you are a "switcher," need VPC 7 to run on your new dual G5, and need XP. Would you rather run SP2 on top of your XP load while in VPC or have it installed already? Imagine, then, running that same update on a G4.

After seeing that 200 apps don't work with SP2, I think Microsoft SHOULD make sure that SP2 doesn't break VPC functionality in the latest version, instead of shipping whatever may be ready now and having to fix it later. (Yes, I know that is Microsoft's MO anyway)

(Just playing Devil's advocate.)

8. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I don't see it as an issue. It comes with SP 2 or you download it later--it's all the same. If it was on the shelf today people could buy it, run their apps, and be happy. When SP 2 is ready they can download it. Honestly it looks like you'd be better off without SP 2 for the time being anyway. Like I said before, I don't see the logic in their claim that they're holding VPC until SP 2 is ready. I quit giving Microsoft the benefit of the doubt a long time ago.