Who’d dare call Joan Rivers a racist?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mpw, Oct 20, 2005.

1. mpw Guest

Who’d dare call Joan Rivers a racist?

Darcus Howe did (kind of) on BBC Radio4’s ‘Midweek’ program yesterday and she really flew into one.

You can hear the show here (it’s a .ram file from the BBC website) but I only heard the segment so I don’t know how far into the show it was, it’s during the interview with Howe and he says something like “…I know the word ‘black’ offends Joan…” BOOM! Joan explodes. :D

For those who don’t know Radio4 is the BBC’s ‘grown up’ station in the UK normally very well mannered and mature and ‘Midweek’ is arts, literature etc.

2. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

3. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

"As a ring of gold in a swine’s snout, so is a beautiful woman which is without discretion."

4. bitfactory macrumors 6502

bitfactory

Here's an mp3 of just the argument

The guy sounds like a race-baiter. I'm no fan of Joan Rivers, but I'm less of a fan of people who need to feel victimized because of their race.

Good for her.

5. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

hahah, that was hilarious.

I wouldn't want to get in an argument with her. She sounds scary.

How DARE you!

Don't you DARE called me a rascist!

6. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

There's also a transcript on the BBC's website – although there are a few chunks strangely missing from it, based on the mp3 bitfactory linked to.

Hopefully the discussion on plant photography went a little more smoothly...

7. cheekyspanky macrumors 6502a

cheekyspanky

I bet the listeners go up next time the show is on..!

I like her come back, totally ripping into him for being a useless parent, she sounded like she was holding back before..! Have to agree with bitfactory, good on her.

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I had heard about this, but hadn't actually heard it all with my own ears. Brilliant! :D

9. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Its a good bit of radio.Joan Rivers lost the plot entirely and ranted and raved,mind you nice guy as Darcus Howe is he has trouble not winding people up.
    PS If you listen to the tape he didn't call her a racist.

10. mpw thread starter Guest

I'd never heard of him before so maybe he is a nice guy but on the basis of that show he does sound like he's got an almighty chip on his shoulder and went looking for the fight.

I especially disliked the bit where Joan says "..I don't care whether you're black, white or..." and he butts in with "I do." nothing but inflammatory.

11. vixapphire macrumors 6502

i like the part where she says OK, continue talking about your stupid film. highlarious.

12. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

I think this illustrates the over sensitivity of the world today with regards to multiculturalism. It seems people are too quick to label people as being racist. I do think that guy implied Joan is a racist "...I don't know whether you're a racist or not..." , but on the other side of the coin it seems freedom to express ones views regarding different races tends to lead a person as being labeled racist even if they are not.

The world is becoming smaller and yet we are too afraid to think for ourselves.

13. Kobushi macrumors 6502a

Kobushi

If you think she SOUNDS scary, you should SEE her. I bet her makeup cracked with that one.

14. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

Haha, I heard a replay of that on the radio this morning while I was in the shower. She's actually nuts.

15. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

How does that statement imply she is a racist.

16. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

I'll say she's a racist just to hear her do that again. That kicked ass!

17. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

He said, "Since black offends Joan..." in the beginning of the argument. She took that, I think rightly, to be an implication that she was a racist.

I say good for Joan. I'm not a huge fan of hers, but I think she reacted perfectly to that situation.

18. mpw thread starter Guest

I think he was asked to state that he wasn't calling Joan a racist and wouldn't just said he didn't know whether she was or not. IMO the guy was an arse.

19. vixapphire macrumors 6502

makeup? i think it was more likely part of her face itself!

20. vixapphire macrumors 6502

i agree 100%. i'm not a big fan of hers either, but fair is fair.

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Not a big fan? I genuinely hate her. Hate hate hate!

22. Kobushi macrumors 6502a

Kobushi

I disagree (in part). Throwing a big, fat, temper tantrum/hissy fit is rarely the perfect reaction to anything. People like that are imbalanced and scary.

Good of Joan to call him on it, tho.

23. Kobushi macrumors 6502a

Kobushi

Wow...I just wandered off the the picture association thread and found this....

[​IMG]

If she and Rivers went on celebrity death match (is that still around?), they wouldn't even have to make clay figures of them.

24. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Why do you have a thing against aging, plastic surgery extremist comedians? Does that make you a Joanist? LOL :p

25. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

He was referring to the habit of calling people Afro-americans and not Black a euphemism the gets right up the nose of many black people.Darcus Howe is a respected journalist,editor,writer and academic he made a point which Rivers reacted to with a huge hissy fit he then truthfully said he didn't know if she was racist or not.The lady protests too much methinks.