who actually uses, or like this blog thing?

Discussion in 'Community' started by firewizard, Jul 23, 2003.

1. firewizard macrumors member

just curious about this whole blog thing
    who actually checks other people 's blogs
    and who keeps up there own?
    is there some sort of enkoyment that comes with this whole blog thing,
    for me personally i dont really care for it, but i am interested in why people think its so cool

so yeah your thoughts

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I've tried to start one but just can't seem to find anything to say. I read a variety of them, some political, some personal, some weird. I read a handful of them on a daily basis. The personal ones can be very interesting, sometimes almost voyeuristic. The political ones for an alternative viewpoint and the weird ones just because.

3. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i've written in one about 10 times total... it's a good way to kinda keep all your friends up to date on your goings on without having to tell them each separately.... especially if you don't live right near them and it's a matter of emailing them every so often to keep them up to date

of course, some people use it for more, some for less.

i personally think it's a good way to get out deeper feelings on things, and allow people (friends really) to see what i'm thinking/feeling at any given time

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

What's a blog? It sounds like email or something, but not.

Sorry, I'm not a big enough computer geek to know. :( Damn it, I knew I should have spent less time with friends and more time on my computer.

5. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

short for "web log"...

kinda like a journal/diary online... depending on how people use it

6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

7. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I also have one with blogger.com...but barely get on it...I always mean to though.

I agree that it's a great way to keep people updated on your life, but for those who aren't as wired as a person like myself...it's an obstacle.

8. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I've had a big distaste for them ever since my sister started a blog and spent hours every day updating it..... :rolleyes:.

I'm about to have my own G5 so now my sister can use the computer all she wants ;).

scem0

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If that's all a blog is, then email is sufficient, thank you. I email friends to tell them whazzup, so blogs = blah!!!

10. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

but why email each individual friend when you can just post stuff on your blog and they can read it there. It just minimizes the amount of work you have to do.

scem0

11. macguymike macrumors 6502

A blog is basically an online personal journal. Its a place for people to record their thoughts and feelings about whatever they feel like talking about. Most blog systems allow for feedback from readers as well.

For some, its easier than emailing several friends every day to tell them what's new.

Of course there are always those like scem0's sister who take the idea too far and waste hours of time posting very little worth reading.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yes, but you can always email many people at once about how your life is going. Its not like Blogs are personal emails.

Also, you can write an email that sounds personal (eg: "So hows work. Is it getting busy?"), and not an email sent to a bunch of people, but send it to a bunch of people as a bbc so that the recipient doesn't know that you sent it to lots of people. Thats what I do when I want to tell people how I'm doing, but want to make everybody feel special. ;) :D

13. macguymike macrumors 6502

You are correct. However, what I was trying to point out was that a blog/journal is more than just a group email.

14. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

www.smelkem.com is blog-esque but its more like pointing out why my life and family are dumb; i've been updating every other day or so now :)

15. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

:look at web page:
    Um... I just posted a comment

What gives?

Why isn't the server listening.

:ahh:
    My blog is here
    I don't want to hear how my design sucks, because it aint my design. I can't change it because xanga scuks.

I read to others blogs and I post comments sometimes.

Go to mind if you wish. I updated.

16. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

i have a blog, but no-one goes their to read it - they just visit to check out my webcam.

...i also succeeded in deleting all my posts by accident. Scheisse!

17. zim macrumors 65816

zim

Okay, I know what a Blog is but, what defines the Blog? Is it only a Blog if it has been created by Blogging software? Or has the term Blog become a generic term now and anything that consists of a web journal approach pass as a Blog? Just curious, something that just passed my mind... going to go make some xeroxes oops photocopies.

18. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I thought about making a blog, but I never got around to it. I don't really think I would have much to say.

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well if you have your own webpage, and you update it with regular stories of yourself, like in a journal, that would probably count as a blog, right?

20. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

Yep, that's basically what a blog is.

21. Foucault macrumors 6502

Foucault

Blogger

I've been keeping one fairly updated during the past few months. The thing with a blog is that if you don't keep it up to date, and talk about relevant topics, there's really no point to it. You should also have some interaction with the readers who read your blog. Check mine out at I Blog Blaum!

22. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Some people start blogs without any writing skills, but after a few months they learn how to analyze situations better tell better stories. Blogs can be a good way to learn how to write. That is just one aspect of blogging. Some are in for the community aspect of it. Bloggers read other bloggers blogs (tongue twister), and get to know each other from each other's blogs. Blogging can also be a good way to have a widespread information exchange. Family from out of state can read your blog to see how you are doing, etc. That's why alot of people love blogging.

23. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

I blog on philwelch.net. Of course, my blog is a political, personal, and update-on-everything-else-on-my-website blog. It's pretty scattered. And the software is written and served by some shady fellow in San Francisco who goes by the alias "Dan Chan". Other than that, though, it's great.

24. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

You could set up and subscribe your friends to an announcement list, but that would be pompous.

25. dreamlance macrumors regular

I agree since I rarely find the time to write individual emails to everyone about what's going on in my life or theirs but having a livejournal helps because I get to post stupid little things if I want, meet other people and it doesn't flood my inbox with responses. Plus it saves me from having to tell the same story a dozen times when someone asks.