Who actually uses their iMac remote?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by wordmunger, Sep 7, 2006.

1. macrumors 603

wordmunger

Now that Apple's selling an iMac without a remote (the $999 17-incher), I was just curious as to how many folks who own iMacs that came with remotes actually use theirs.

I played with mine for a few minutes when I first got the computer, but since then, I haven't touched it. Seems to me that this is an idea that never really took off. Of course, perhaps Apple's new service they're announcing next week will change all that....

2. macrumors 6502a

I intend to use mine all the time when I lie on my bed/the floor and watch DVDs. Hurrah!

3. macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

I use it a lot with my MB. Proves handy while watching movies or playing iTunes.

4. macrumors G4

I use mine with both my EyeTV and when I'm watching DVDs.

5. macrumors member

Eh...

I use mine all the time. I'd say i use its about the same amount as I do the keyboard and mouse. i use it for itunes mainly but also movies the odd time.

6. macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

My main activity with the remote is picking it up because it fall off with the slightest bump which happens often as I am constantly plugging in my camera and camcorder.
    I have used it as a remote maybe 2 times and those were both in the first week of ownership.

7. macrumors 6502

amiga

When my iMac works I use it a lot, my Mac is my TV, my Hi-Fi (digital out to 5.1 amp) and my home movie system and much more.... I would kill for a 24" screen though!

8. macrumors 68040

mduser63

I use mine a lot. I don't watch broadcast TV, only DVDs and shows downloaded from iTMS. My iMac is in a location that makes it very comfortable/convenient to watch things on it. So, I use my remote and Front Row all the time. I listen to music via Front Row often as well.

9. macrumors 604

kretzy

I use it now and again when watching DVDs, listening to music or looking at photos.

10. macrumors 6502

CrEsTo

Same here for DVDs

11. macrumors 65816

iKwick7

I use mine all the time. I'd even go as far to say that I use it more than my mouse or keyboard! I always have iTunes running and if I am not feeling a song, I just hit next on the remote.

That, and it's nice to change songs and such when I am on the other side of the room. :)

12. macrumors 603

wordmunger

You know, that's a good point. Why didn't they put the magnet on the other side?

13. macrumors 6502

mines still in the box, unused. i used the one with my mbp once when i got it and once when i was trying that alarm thing, can't remember what it was called.

14. macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

i use it a fair bit. Its great for when i'm playing my bass in the main room, i can just press back to go back to the start without touching my computer.

By the way, that alarm program is called iAlarmU.

15. macrumors 6502a

bembol

Rarely use it...don't he the need since I have my Logitech LV400 wireless notebook mouse...!!!

16. macrumors 6502a

A lot. I watch almost all my movies etc in Front Row/iTunes.

17. macrumors G4

dmw007

I use the remote with my MacBook Pro fairly often. It works great for controlling music playback when I am across the room. :)

18. macrumors 601

BornAgainMac

Movie Trailers

You have to use the remote if you want to watch the movie trailers. I know, you can just use Safari and go find them but Front Row is so much better.

Also since it has been available for EyeTV, I use it all the time. The eye candy of the interface is nicer than the default EyeTV interface. I like remote better than the EyeTV remote.

19. macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

same here--and it works with my Hi-Fi :cool:

20. macrumors regular

I use it mostly to control itunes or a movie from my treadmill when I am running...

21. macrumors 6502a

mulletman13

I use it to watch a couple TV eps on my computer at night... then use it to put the computer to sleep... overall quite handy.

22. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I use it quite a bit, but the range isn't particularly good, at least in the room I have the iMac in. The remote doesn't control the iMac from the dining table ~12 feet away, but does from the sofa ~9 feet away...

One of these years I'll find a decent universal learning remote under $100 to replace my late Sony RM-VL900.

B

23. macrumors 68000

speakerwizard