Who Bought Apple Stock Under $100?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Squilly, Jan 15, 2013.

1. macrumors 68020

Squilly

Apple's stock raised above $100 in the first couple of years of the new millennium. Any of you purchase Apple's stock before then, when it was at $90 or less? Do you still own the stock to this day? What made you want to buy then - did you see potential even as they were "small"? This isn't for a research paper or anything, I'm just really curious.

2. GroundLoop, Jan 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2013

macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

I bought it (182 shares - about $2k) shortly after the iPod introduction in 2001 at right around $11 a share. I sold it all as soon as it hit $600. That netted me almost $110K. Put all of those proceeds into Bank of America when it hit $8. Doing pretty well so far. I have since upped my stake in BAC to 15,000 shares.

Looking forward to BAC earnings this week to see if I sell a few shares for a decent vacation.

GL

3. thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

Damn. Wish I was you... Lucky -.-

4. macrumors 6502

JoshMKB24

I'm not sure what my grandma got it for, but she got in really really early, prior to it almost going bankrupt and then still kept it even after. I do know that she gave her condo in Manhattan right off the park to my dad a few years ago, and you can take a guess at what that is worth

5. macrumors regular

Bought at $33 sold at $100

Never thought it would get this high. Oops!

6. macrumors member

I wanted to buy when it was about 90 bucks a share. I was like 16 at the time and I just inherited about 10 Grand. When I told my parents that i wanted to invest that money they wouldnt let me becuase it was alot of money per share. I did the math and i would have been around 70 grand a few months ago. Never let my parents live that one down!

7. macrumors 65816

senseless

Bought at $18 (split adjusted), sold at $13 when I saw a panel of analysts all agree that Apple was doomed by Window's success.

8. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

OUCH! That stings and it doesn't even affect me!

9. thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

Damn... Well that sucks. Gotta love "experts" :p

10. macrumors G3

Huntn

I bought $10k when it was $4 per share and have kept till today.

...my fantasy... :eek:

11. macrumors 6502a

JohnLT13

Forrest Gump:
    Lieutenant Dan got me invested in some kind of fruit company. So then I got a call from him, saying we don’t have to worry about money no more. And I said, that’s good! One less thing.:)

12. macrumors 6502

Hahaha

13. thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

Lucky you! I don't even remember reading about it being $4 a share.
    Also, was there supposed to be a picture there?

----------

Woah woah woah... After a few seconds of calculating... You have over a million dollars worth of their stock?!

14. macrumors 6502a

He's joking. It's his fantasy.

15. macrumors 6502

JoshMKB24

This is kind of the opposite......but maybe will make you feel better. I bought 1000 shares of Sirius after they were merging with XM and it was around 3/share. It dropped at 1 point to .05/share, this was back in like 06? As of like a week ago, I've finally broken even and still waiting to see any gain

16. thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

17. macrumors 68000

About $14. Still holding. Have seen it go up and down, the anal-ists wrecking havoc, the manipulations, fear and loathing, trolls for China, the loony savant Jobs, rip-offs by major corporations, the rise of the incredible Apple Stores, the incredible profits and growth and cash reserves...What a ride. Can't back out now!

The future...? A lot of what Apple wants to do depends on bandwidth and accessibility around the world to it. All this is controlled by other corporations with sometimes competing agendas, hundreds of different technical standards and is the future really going to be a trillion costly cell towers all over the world?

The Next Big Thing is eventually going to have to be Apple wanting to control and ensure the availability of bandwidth to the world and that just about has to be from satellites or aircraft. Or maybe through the earth....something has to change and whoever manages to do this will indeed control the world. And even modest Apple shareholders will be throwing Crystal bottles from their Bentleys to peasants lining the road, offering their Androids for just a crust...Unless Google does that in which case we will be offering our iPhones for just a crust instead.

Things to watch? The incredible pollution in China, which ends up here, cannot be allowed to go on. There will be increasing costs of doing business there and dodging environmental regulations is one of the main reasons corporations do business in China.

Overseas tax dodging will end, sooner or later.

There will be more political pressure for production in countries outside of China. The people of Europe and Japan are just as upset as we are in the US about sending all the jobs away.

Will there be scandals involving bribery? Golden handshakes are common. Will Apple be caught up in this?

The original and familiar Apple leaders will someday be retired and the company will be led and staffed by relative newcomers. Will this lead to mediocrity or will this be a breath of fresh air for the company?

What if Apple starts to compete on price and specs, out-Androids the Androids and other competing devices?

It is just the beginning of something, what we cannot tell.

----------

Just a story about why I bought at $14. Apple stock had been diving and it was assumed that the company would fail. I liked the products, meaning nothing of course, but it was said that the physical assets of the company were something like $25 and so the current stock price was unsubstainably low. I went in thinking, cool, maybe it might go to $22 or so and that would be a nice little profit on my relatively modest number of shares.

If only I had bought more...

18. thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

Damn. The analysts really got that $25 wrong lol.

19. macrumors 65816

senseless

Yes, I remember when SIRI was going to be delisted because they couldn't get the price over $1. Wow; think of all the seller's remorse in this stock!

20. thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

What, everyone thought they'd be a big hit?

----------

Look up.

21. macrumors 6502

JoshMKB24

Yeah, I mean I can't complain too much........I made out really good on Mastercard and I got Apple at 192 around 2006 maybe as well? Another one I've done well off of was Mon Santo kind of an evil company, but they make a crap ton of money. I also more recently got Groupon at around 3 bucks and its back up around 5.

Oh, another I took an absolute bath on.....Bank of America......29/share in like 04 and now its at 11 haha

22. macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

Apple was a little out of my price range, I was 15 in 2001.

But, the Christmas before I graduated college (08') my dad asked what I wanted for Christmas and Graduation. I told him Ford stock, because my professor at the time was saying good things about it. Buy in was around 2 dollars, he bought me 5,000 worth.

Couldn't find a decent job by the Summer of 2010, so I placed a sell order at 16.50 and a stop at 10.00. It got to 16.50 around the beginning of December that year.

Haven't messed with any of the money, just been sitting in a CD and is there for a a newer house some day.

Best, graduation present ever.

23. thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

Has Ford grown that much?

24. macrumors G3

rhett7660

Purchased the stock when it was in it's $50 range.

25. macrumors G5

jav6454

Yup, Ford went from $2/share to $14/share today. However they were at one point worth $18.65/share. So selling now is still good.

----------

If anyone wants a nice bet, try investing in AMD. Their stock went as low as $1.43/share and rebounded to $9.91/share a 8 fold increase. Right now is back to $1ish. So investing now is a sure way to get money back. By the way, it will climb when they release new GPUS in their Radeon line.