Who can you chat with using iChat AV?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Stecchino, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Stecchino macrumors member

Other than people you know that are on AIM (who obviously don't have an iSight) are there any communities out there of people who just want to video and audio chat?

It is possible to simply audio chat with iChat AV with a built-in mic in a eMac?

Regards,
    Jonathan

2. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

Re: Who can you chat with using iChat AV?

If you want to find people: For example, try ichatfinder.com. Or join the iChat channel "MacRumors", there are crazy nuts like me from time to time ;)
    Concerning your eMac question, this should be perfectly working.

BTW, do a search in community forum, this has been discussed before. There are some threads where people posted their iChat screen names :)

3. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

I can't AV chat with anyone, my campus resnet is blocking the ports ichat uses for sending AV data....

4. Stecchino thread starter macrumors member

Grazie mille/ Campus firewall problems

A thousand thanks. ichatfinder.com seems to be the biggest ichat site with the most members that I've seen yet.

Regarding campus network security. I too live in a campus environment where they have many ports blocks but have not yet tried to video or audio chat with anyone. Question...if you are able to text chat with people. which I am, does that mean that video and audio won't be blocked either?

If it is blocked I believe it is harmless enough activity where I can request those ports be turned on.

Regards,
    Jonathan

5. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

no, the A/V data is sent through different ports. if you search apple's support page, you can find the document that lists all the ports ichat uses, and for what purpose

6. Stecchino thread starter macrumors member

I've seen that page and remembered to bookmark it because I feared the answer would be no. Information Services on my campus is SLOW to deal with ports so that is unfortunate.

Regards,
    Jonathan

7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

generally, it doesn't matter how "harmless" something is, if your network admins don't want you doing it, you won't be able to. they'll claim that it eats up bandwidth and that you don't *need* to use it anyway.

for instance, at work, they won't unblock Appletalk for the Macs we have, because we don't *need* to access file servers (or printers etc). Except we *do* need to. but we still don't get access. fun.

pnw

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

why they never put the phone inside the mac is the question i have allways wondered, it seems to me so easy to integrate a phone system with the mac. why didnt it happen?

9. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

What's the point? It would be easy to integrate a hot plate into the 12" PowerBook, but there would be no point to it.

10. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

Idea: Like the MacRumors Pics directory, we should have a MacRumors iChat directory, which notes who all has iChat and what capabilities they have.