Who cares about mac specific games?

Discussion in 'Games' started by PowermacG5, Aug 21, 2006.

1. PowermacG5 macrumors regular

PowermacG5

With the coming of BootCamp and native support for windows why is anyone concerned about mac ports. I realize alot of people don't have intel macs yet but I would think there would be less posts about games being ported. :cool:

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Because some people dont want to spend $200 bucks to run windows XP on their shiny new apple.

Personal choice, it's why we chose Apple in the first place.

3. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Ditto. Plus, a lot of people playing games right now wouldn't have the slightest idea how to use BootCamp (in it's currewnt form).

4. CyberPrey macrumors regular

Plus you forgot the biggest factor on why people are BUYING Macs.... a shared hatred of a clunky slow and bugged OS.....

I would rather buy a game for a mac than a game for windows.

Mac - sh$t just works.....
    Windows - I'll leave this one alone....

5. PowermacG5 thread starter macrumors regular

PowermacG5

Boot Camp

Boot camp is extremly easy to use and set up. I am just posing the question: If you had the choice to wait 6 extra months for a game to come out or play it when it launches which would you choose. Any PC game there is or a select few that happend to be money makers and got ported.

6. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Hard drive space is another potential issue. Installing an extra OS takes up a good chunk of room. Convenience is also a factor for the timebeing. I'd rather not reboot my machine and load a different OS to play a game for a while, then reboot and load a different OS to do some work.

7. PowermacG5 thread starter macrumors regular

PowermacG5

I dont use windows at all I love my mac... I dont mind re booting and double clicking on a game shortcut.

8. Kimi macrumors regular

Once I get an Intel Mac desktop, there's no chance I'll ever buy a game for the Mac again. I see no reason why I'd have to, I've got XP with an unlimited licence (totally ligit) so I'm not buying anything extra. Mac games run worse, cost more, take longer to be released and there are very few of them.

It's a non-contest for me. Right now, gaming on a Mac has no up side what so ever IMO.

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

There will always be interests in Mac Ports till the day they arent needed. Apples getting closer but they are still in transition. Seems there is still a lot of interest in Mac gaming.;)

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I have to install Windows XP for compatability with old apps. So I'll be gaming with that. But if a game is simultaneously released on OS X I would rather buy the Mac version.

Hopefully Cedega or Wine will come out for OS X and work well for gaming, or else Cider will work well, and I won't need to boot Windows often. If Wine works I won't have to at all.

11. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I care about Mac-specific games, because I'm beta-testing two that will probably never see the light of day on the PC.

12. fblack macrumors 6502a

fblack

A large choice of titles would be nice. However, I want to support developers on the mac even if its just ports. I want people to get excited when they see a game or other app on my mac. I'm concerned that the attitude just do windows on mac might spread to other developers like Adobe who has had a sometimes rough time with apple. What if they say we can keep costs down, let the mac user run photoshop in windows!

As far as games go I really only have time nowadays for 2-3 titles a year, so more would not necessarily be better quality. I'm also not in some race with the kid down the block to see who gets the latest greatest game. ;)

I think I read some where that one of the largest growing segments of the game market is casual gamers that range in age from 18-49.

13. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

(1) The majority of mac users are currently using PPC.
    (2) Windows costs money for people with morals.
    (3) Would be nice to be able to do work one moment, then take a break to play a game, then come back to work, without having to reboot.

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Mac-specific games or games that run on Mac OS X?

I want games that run natively on Mac OS X but I want big name games. Right now, I don't have a machine that would run Windows but I won't likely be using Windows on a machine unless I had another purpose.

I'd like to believe that there will be a number of game ports to Mac OS X almost equal to the past few years. However, there are those companies which don't care what processor is underneath, they're not going to work on games for Mac OS X. I'm not sure a lot of the games I've seen on Windows are worth being ported anyway.

People need to vote with their wallet to make certain games come this way.

15. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

Actually, I would like more Mac-first games. Not since Marathon has there been a game that came first to the Mac that later got ported for Windows (I'm thinking of Marathon 2, obviously). I'd love some innovative company to come out with a killer app game for the Mac that would have people from other platforms clamouring to get their hands on it.

Ports aren't all that interesting to me. About 18 months back I was browsing the available Mac games and concluded that since Mac games cost about £40 in the UK, there's no point buying them, when I was able to buy a Gamecube for £60 and pick up amazing titles like Soul Calibur II for £6.99. I've got lots of sequels to games I have on the Mac (Splinter Cell games, Medal of Honor games) that look better, run better, and are cheaper to buy for the Cube.

That's why I think Mac games programmers should look beyond the porting business and focus on original games. For a developer it may be hard to swallow the costs of writing an original game versus doing a port, but as a consumer I'd like to see more originals on the Mac.

16. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Palad1

17. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

The (higher-end) Macs are starting to ship with some fairly nice GPUs now, which are very capable of running most games on high graphics. I really want to see games like NFS and Splinter Cell released on Mac.

Using windows to play games involves installation of Windows, installation of drivers, etc. I don't want to do that on my MacBook, or my parent's MBP. I just wanna play something within Mac OS at similar, same, or better speeds than the same game in Windows.

18. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Same here, I would rather play a game under Mac OS than under the evil that is M$ Windoze. :)

Oh no, please share what you really want to see about Windows.... ;) :D

19. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

Before I swithced I read about marathon, ran the PC demo and loved it, it just worked and it was such a nice game. It was a big reason why my interest in the mac staid so strong.

I admit I dont really play games, but if there was a single reason for me to buy a nice mac game I would, so if a few good mac only games came out, I would buy them, as for PC ports... I dont really like the sellection of PC games of late, to violent and complex... will stick to my child friendly gamecube thanks! LOL

20. 2ndPath macrumors 6502

It would be nice to have more native titles on the Mac. But I guess from a developers point of view bootcamp reduces the interest in supporting the Mac platform. If something like cedega is going to run nicely on OS X this will probably reduce the interest much more.

From a consumer point of view bootcamp already provides a good possibility to run Windows games on a Mac. With something like cedega that would be almost like a native game. Both solutions have the advantages that there are much more games available for windows than for OS X and that, even if they are available for both platforms, the OS X versions are usually released a lot later and usually are more expensive at the same time.

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think the opposite would be good, it'd be nice to have a reboot between OS X and Civ 4! Then again it would also be good for a reboot between OS X and Macrumors ;)

22. Scruff macrumors member

I wouldn't boot into Windows, solely because of the HD space it'll take up. If I had a big external drive, then yay, but I don't. Also, I dont' want to spend all that money on XP, I suppose.

I would though, if circumstances permitted it. I miss being able to play CS with my friends - OS X is responsible for alienating me from my mates :p. If and when windows apps can run natively in OS X, it will possibly be the greatest day of my life.