Who cares if 30,000 programs are available for Windows, if the five you want most are

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by drastik, Jul 18, 2002.

1. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

In time, iSync may even become yet another siren, singing out a question to Windows users who already look longingly at iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie and iDVD: Who cares if 30,000 programs are available for Windows, if the five you want most are available only on the Mac?
    -Davis Pouge, The New York Times

Well, it seems like the press isn't as disapointed with Macworld as people aound here are. Did boo the .Mac thing though.;)

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

He brings up a good point. But I'm wondering what the backlash is going to be from Microsoft? Will we be seeing an msPhoto, msTunes, msMovie, etc. It would probably cause all sorts of problems if they tried to go the freeware way - ha!

No, Apple definitely has the right approach, I hope they continue. But the biggest force driving them is that they are playing catch up, trying to get more users and sell more systems by sweetening the pot (cool free software), which is great for all of us. But with the recent .mac fiasco and having to now pay for something that was free, they're changing their tune - I hope it isn't a trend.....

D

3. drastik thread starter macrumors 6502a

drastik

I don't think it will be, at least as far as the iApps go. It looks like Apple is gonna let people keep there email now, so the additional charge is really just a web hosting plan, and a not over priced one at that. Gotta pay for R&D somehow, and not at the expense of my stock. Also, the PC iPod is going to make some bucks, and the partnering with music Match is nice, a good clean, not MS company.

So there will still be free goodies, and they will remain what the consumers want . The trend seems to be towards system integration, which will be good for enterprise too. (e.g. iSync, iCal and iChat).