who considers pay rate the most important factor in a job?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Apr 19, 2003.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

do you work for money, for satisfaction, or for both?

how important is the rate of pay or salary as compared to other factors like job hours, benefits, getting a long with coworkers, and having challenging work to do?

2. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

Well, I am only 15, so I don't have a job yet. But, I would say that whenever I do go out to try to get a job, the salary will be important, but not too important. I want a job that I will enjoy. But, I would also like a salary that I will enjoy too.

3. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

While money is important, happiness with what you do is also important. I took a large paycut (close to 10k) , and I don't regret doing it. I now look forward to going to work, and I thoroughly enjoy my current job (computer technician).

4. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

what did you do before being a techie?

i am also a techie now, but at one time i was into human resources

the techie thing is more challenging and that is why i like it more....the good thing is techies get paid better than hr people

5. GeneR macrumors 6502a

GeneR

I think it's not about the pay. But the pay helps.

The longer I've been in the workforce the longer I've realized that if you're not enjoying what you're doing or at least have part of you growing from the process, something's wrong.

Pay is important, but secondary to this.

The way I see it: time is really all you have. You don't really own money because that comes and goes like the tide. Even if you have a bit of it, it doesn't matter.

Maybe I'd take a job I didn't like to save up some money. But now that I even write that, I don't know if that's so. Anyway, I hope my $0.02 helps. :D

6. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    well, pay is important enough, but the way i look at it, if you make enough to keep yourself comfortable, in a lifestyle that you are somewhat happy with, and don't have to worry about the last few days before the next pay check, then great, everything else i think i down to enjoyment, if you don't look forward to going to work, doing your job, and seeing your colleagues, then that's no good. i'd take a big pay cut (if i could afford it) to be happy in my work for sure.

7. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

i definatley work for the pay. I"m only 17 so I"m a waiter on the weekends. I work wedding banquets and have to wear a little bowtie but I get paid really well for my area. In Illinois, minimum wage is 5.15/hr, a regular waiter gets 3.50/hr + tips (they are paid less becase they are excpected to earn tips. Most of my friends on average earn between $6-$6.50/hr and i make $8.75 + major tips. Last weekend I worked two parties totaled $85 in tips + wage so I'm pretty happy about the money i make. Thats the break down of why i work for the extra $$$

8. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Interesting question... I work at an office where I like the vast majority of my coworkers, my boss is concerned with the well being of his employees, the enviroment is relaxed (hours are far less important than just getting your work done), and pretty damn good benefits since it's for an insurance company. The pay is OK, I'm temp-to-hire so the temp agency takes a good chunk for the moment... Don't know what it will be afterwords. But lets just say that my partner and I combined make more than most couples I know (including my parents)... So I work for both money AND satisfaction right now... Best of both worlds :) Only downside is that it's turbulent and high-stress, but I can live with that...

If it came down to a job that was horrible, but paid a lot, I would probably do it until something better came along... but I'd be less likely to take a low-paying job that was really nice in other ways... I need to be highly-compensated for taking time out of my busy sitting-on-my-lazy-ass schedule... :)

pnw

9. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i seem to always be worrying about the money right before the checks come in

but then again, i get paid only once a month...i bill my clients and like other professional businesses and companies, so i bill monthly

i still have grad school to pay for so i will be hurting for cash for some time now...otherwise, things are paid for and i require very little in terms of material stuff

it took me years to get to where i am now being anti-clutter and all

sometimes i go the mall and remember my younger days when i bought everything in sight....i was a junk collector

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Money is important to me only to a point. I have to have enough to provide me with the things I need, yet my job also has to have something that gives me personal gratification as well.

I could no doubt make more money somewhere else, but the projects I'm involved in and things I get to do are unique. And as long as I keep learning I'm going to be happy with it for now.

D

11. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

i'm 15, and i have a few jobs. i babysit for the people next door to me, which for doing so, i get paid pretty decently- about $20 for 3 or 4 hours most of the time, which is plenty for me, especially since i babysit about once every week or so and i don't spend too much money.

during the summer i'm a counselor at a day camp, and the lady who runs it is so cheap it's not even funny. but it's still money. i guess most of the time pay isn't the most important factor in a job. after all, i'd rather work at the apple store by me for the 10 or so bucks an hour than some crappy job i hate in which i'm getting more money.

btw- does anyone know how much they pay at the apple store? (as soon as i turn 18 i wanna apply for a job there :) )

12. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

I've always given job enjoyment and work environment priority. But at the same time I have friends who've gone for the big bucks in the short term and had it work out real well for them. For example, I have this friend from college who went straight to Wall Street, and after just 4 years got his first huge bonus. Now he can pretty much do whatever he wants - the first thing he did was travel the world for a year. So I think going for the bucks is OK in the short term, but in the long run if you're going to be spending most of your waking hours doing something, it has to be enjoyable...

13. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

wow, you have to be an adult, as in 18?

you're not killing anyone or being shot at or losing your virginity there

14. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Pay isn't the most important thing, but it's definitely a factor. Also, location plays a big part in the salary to cost of living ratio.

$30k a year is great in some places, but barely scraping by in others...

15. vniow macrumors G4

Well since I don't have one right now, I'd have to say that pay is the most important factor at the moment.

Of course I'm not too picky about my wage, right now I'll take just about anything.

Oh, and congrats on the new status jef, 601 now?
    That's a new one...

16. crazytom macrumors 6502a

crazytom

Not for the money...

Money helps, more money helps more. I used to work in publishing (programming in TeX, C, scripting in UNIX, etc). But since I live in a University town, people like me are a dime a dozen. I could make 2x the amount somewhere else easily.

I quit that high stress, carpal tunnel causing, dead end job and did something completely different. Basically a little to no stress job with decent pay, but only part time hours and seasonal. Yeah, I'm not making nearly my potential, but I'm happy and stress free. I don't think I'd go back to a desk/computer job again.

17. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

If you can help it, choose job satisfaction over money. You're better in the long run, believe me. It's just not worth wrecking your psyche or health for more money. Find a line of work you love and try to stick with it. I've known too many people who were raking in the dough but were completely miserable. Soulless.

18. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I think that job satisfaction is very important. You end up spending alot of time at work, getting along with co-workers is also important.

When I decided to be a nurse, money played no part in my decision. My thought was that I wanted to help people. It's the satisfaction of helping people that kept me going. To have a patient say, "Thank you, you are one of my favorite nurses." What a feeling!

I realize that a person can't live without money. But you have to be able to live with yourself.

19. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

I consider wealth far more important than money.

If a job offer has wealth building potential (a PROVEN option package, a stake in a growing firm, etc.) that will often sway me.

Outside of that, I will go up or down 15% on the total package based on factors like environment, co workers, vacation, flexibility, benefits, etc.

But frankly, I work for money, and won't lower the bar for perks or pleasures. That said, I seldom see myself staying with one company for more than 3-5 years.

However, I agree that if you are choosing a position you don't feel you'll leave or be recruited away from, that job satisfaction should be number one. You can always climb the internal latter to fill out your pocketbook later.

20. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

I was a shop rat. I had been at the job almost 10 years, so I had a decent wage (including O/T and bonuses), and the tech position was entry level, so there was a large difference in pay level (closer to 9k rather than 10k). It's been almost three years now, so the pay level has almost leveled out (I rarely work o/t, and don't get bonuses) so I feel I'm doing good. My bennies aren't as good as when I was the shop rat, but I can live with it.

Do I regret leaving? NO! Although the company I worked for was pretty good (as far as factories go) I couldn't see myself spending the rest of my life there. I just didn't like what I did, and didn't see me getting anywhere while being there. It was a small plant (150 or so people), and all of the management people had been there 15-30 years. And very, very few of them were close to retirement.

So, it was time to leave. I have a friend who encouraged me to get into computers, so I did, and here I am.

Seriously people, sometimes money isn't worth it. You need to be happy first.

edit: those bosses that had been around for 30 years or so, started at the factory when they were 15-16 years old, so they weren't ready to retire (just a clarification).

21. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I would rather have interesting work than be paid big money.

22. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

well one would be dumb to take two otherwise equal jobs and turn down the higher paying one.

that said, it's one of the lesser factors to me (i say that now at least, having never worked in the "real" world). basically, as long as i can live with the money, i'd much rather have a "better" job, as in what i'd rather be doing.

ie, i'd rather be animating or compositing for 30k than keeping track of computers for 45k

that's assuming i could live alright on the 30. ;)

23. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

I worked at my first job for three years and it sucked. Low pay and they expected us to be in a 8am and could not leave (except for lunch) at 5:30. As the company started to tank, we got an 8 hour work day, flex time and 'dress casual'. My second job paid a lot more and it still sucked. Third job sucked and they laid off the entire company three months after I started.

During one year, I had quit my first, second and third job and landed my fourth job. My fiancee's (at the time) mother was starting to worry that I was't very stable.

My fourth job I still have and I've worked there 8 years. It is great. My boss is wonderful as is everyone else's boss. Dress code is 'come as you are.' Bring a child in for a few hours? How wonderful! Need to leave work for a few hours to do something? Fine by me. Rubber stamp vacations. Sick? You should stay home for a few days. Benefits? Couldn't be better.

I have a friend at work who has been thinking for years that he could make more money at another company. He interviews all the time. He never quits.

You need to look at the pay + benefits + work environment. Put a dollar value on all of that stuff and see what you come up with.

24. howard macrumors 68020

howard

totally agree with that.

well i'm going for the straight up do what you love job. i just hope it works out for me. i don't care if i make a lot of money though being successful would be fantastic. i just need to get by and enjoy doing what i love