Who converts Zips and Jaz drives to DVD?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by cyks, Jun 2, 2003.

1. cyks macrumors 68020

Jul 24, 2002
    Westchester County, NY
    I haven't used my Jaz or Zips in years- and since my upgrade- don't even have a computer that can connect to the drives I do have... since I doubt I'll use them again- or if they're even good still- anyone know of a place that will burn dvd's or cd's of them? and if so, how expensive would it be?
    I figure I have about 15 or so Jaz's and 20 Zips all just lying around...
    Thanks for the help.
  2. andyduncan macrumors regular

Jan 21, 2003
    Your best bet would probably be to try to find a "Service Bureau". Those might be hard to find as most of them are out of business (they did prepress work for publishers that is usually done in-house now) Those places usually had every type of removable drive ever made (Bernoulli anyone?).

Some place like a kinkos, or other quick-print or maybe a large-format print house might have jazz drives around, as designers/creative types were the main people who bought them.

Someone with a zip drive should be easy to find, and you wouldn't need DVDRs for those, CDRs would be plenty large enough. Unless the jazz drives have individual files larger than 700 megs (and even then you could segment them...) you would be more likely to find someone to help you burn CDs.

Either way though, with that many disks, your probably going to get pretty close to the cost of buying an adapter for your jazz (probably SCSI?) and your zip (SCSI or parallel or usb?). Anyone know of a good, cheap SCSI card?